Weekend Freedom Machines banner

New Suspension Seat Question

7K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  gts40t 
#1 ·
Just bought and installed a new deluxe suspension seat from fellow WFM Matt Harbert. Let me first say that the quality is amazing. Im not sure why anyone would pay the high prices for well used JD seats that need new bushings and welds. I am an engineer and can tell you construction and materials are top notch and I highly recommend it. Its built better than than the original JD seat frame. My question concerns the safety switch. My current set up has the switch located in the seat itself. Since this is a flip seat it will need the external switch mounted with two screws to the seat frame. Im looking for the JD part number for the flip seat switch. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

#3 ·
Darrin beat me...

Thanks for your kind comments, Mike! I'll be honest, I owe all the glory to my Iowa buddies. Nick Holmes got the idea started and he provided the original Deere suspension that was modeled. The next buddy was Colin Hart (guy who tied two tractors together, 47 snowblower modification, suspension engineer) he took that stock suspension, listened to all the issues with it and he was the one who turned out a very functional design.. Then I have to thank all the local vendors that do the work. The CNC machinist, Laser parts, Professional TIG welder, and the powder coater. I'm just a coordinator of all these top notched men. Nonetheless I'll pass along your pat on the back to these fine gentlemen and I hope you get years of enjoyment out of your machine, because I'm confident the suspension will be along for the ride until the end!

When you get it mounted, you'll have to post picture and give some feedback on comfort

p.s. I'll hold off on giving Colin his pat on the back until I get my tandem moldboard plow with automatically adjusting furrow wheel design
Kidding, I know he'll read this thread so I wanted to make him smile like I'm sure you did with your compliment. Thank you again Mike!

#4 ·
Mike,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question here

Matt,

How much weight are these designed for, and if they are designed for say .... 250 lbs, would it be possible for you to put in heavier springs to support my weight of 325 lbs or what ever ones case my be ??

#6 ·
I'm on the decline at about 170 lbs, and have the seat tension bolt backed off most of the way. My assumption would be that you could really crank that sucker down for increased capacity.

#8 ·
mine worked well at 270 and had my son on my lap too

#12 ·
Ron

I weigh 250 and the factory suspension I had on my 430 had plenty of bolt thread left to tighten up for heavier weight.Add 40-50 when one of my daughters would ride in my lap gets you right at 300.

Matt

You forgot to thank the academy and all of your fans too.

AJ

#16 ·
So these seats are "NLA" ? If so, that would be a shame.

#17 ·
the suspension part is NLA and fetches 300+ on ebay at times

#19 ·
What I meant was, Matt H's after market version is evidently NLA. I knew the Deere original version is long gone.

#20 ·
If there would be a bunch of interest I would be willing to make some up. The designer said I would have to order enough parts to make 15 seats I would want at least 10 sold seats with down payment before I do anything and I think there might be a minor change or two like making the base metal a little thicker
and with iron prices always changing would have to figure out a cost also to let those interested know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.