Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Spring has sprung, Let's see some Picture's of your Mowing Tractors here

7K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  hammerdown 
#1 ·
Hello All
We Have had Three weeks of nice warm weather here in East Tennessee, so it has Jump started our Grass growing for us. I mowed this Past Tuesday and it is growing fast again. Here is the family pair of Mowing machines. I restored both of them mine is a First year 1983 John Deere 318 that had a brand new Onan P-218 engine placed when I restored it a couple of years ago, and the other one is my sone in law's 1991 John Deere 316 that I restored for him Last spring, that I Gave $50.00 for when we found it with 349.1 Hour's on it. Let's see some nice pictures of your mowing rig's in this Thread and keep warm Thought's here as it has been a Long winter this year. Regards, Kurt

See less See more
#5 ·
Results of a little off-season work.

Painted wheels and new tires.
Refurbished new to me 48" replacement deck
New to me 48" power flow

Cylinder heads removed and de-carboned
New Starter
Heavy Duty driveshaft transmission yoke added

Electric fuel pump added

Brake drums removed and cleaned

Attachments

#6 ·
Have you mowed with V-61's in the past? Wondering how much tearing they would do in turns. I had them on my 420 and cut my lawn with it once and didn't seem too bad.

Not like those Firestone 16x6.5 "tri" ribs that are just the big fat rib standing tall. Those cut a nice semicircle every time you turn.

#8 ·
Hello Andy
That is a fine looking 318 you have there, and the work that you have done on it should make it much more reliable. I Placed a new Onan Fuel pump on mine when I restored it with all new fuel lines and double gas filter's and so far I have had no fuel issues. I also Placed the extra tall heavy duty Onan air filter as I feel it help's it breath easier. I too Placed the heavy duty driveshaft Yoke on mine when I restored it as my original one had some slop to it. All Good improvements make for a durable Tractor thank's for sharing. Regards, Kurt

#9 ·
Here is my mowing unit. 332, unsure of year with missing tag. Got it from my local town, that traded a generator to a church, and thats how they came up with it. Once the town got it, they never used it, as the guy mowing the ball fields didnt like how hard it was to keep straight lines with the power steering. I love it, and it only has around 750 hrs. Ive added the 3pt and hubcaps. Power-flo not pictured but does a great job on the leaves.

Attachments

#11 ·
Lowell, I had one of those and It was beyond neat. I loved mowing with it, but I also bag my grass, so I ended up selling it. The one thing that I didn't like about it, was that the engine is part of the transaxle and you can't replace it as JD doesn't support it any more. That is the only negative thing about them.

#13 ·
Doug,email them to me,and I'll try to post them,but I think if you keep hammering away at it,you'll get it

#20 ·
ooooh. Yea. They seem to be unpopular here. I worked on one but never had a diesel with electric start. That small gas engine can be a bit of a pucker factor, time to time. I have stopped mowing with it. I have the 400 now and it mows the field just fine. The 112 didn't like that.

#21 ·

This is my mowing machine. 1988 332 with 680 hours. I restored it this spring and added the front weight bracket, Ruegg 3 point.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.