Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Let's Talk Grease

19K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  mm210 
#1 ·
Would like to start this thread to extract information and knowledge about using the different kinds of grease.

My 430 manual says to use JD General purpose grease but I have seen references in other manuals to different types.

We have some super smart guys on here. Some with engineering backgrounds and lots wit just years and years of hands on personals experience.

Is there any type of grease a person should keep on hand except general purpose grease to take care of these tractors and implements?

#2 ·
Personally I just use Mobil One full synthetic grease. Some depends on applications like if in water or not. Heat, food grade, price, etc.

Reactions: michaelkitko
#3 ·
Actually I think a Poly base grease for the severer environment these tractors encounter.
The draw back with poly based grease it's black & very hard to remove from clothing & hands, there fore I used a good general purpose grease & grease regularly.
This is a subject just like what is the best oil to use, all in the owners preference.
Grease often & use a good quality product!

#4 ·
lithium grease is what I use

#6 ·
I have used Lucas grease for a while and been happy with it. I use either the heavy duty stuff or the red stuff. But have used other brands with good results really. My Dad used to say. "Grease and oil the two things that will make them last. Grease often, keep the oil full and change it twice a mowing season."

#8 ·
Hi Fellas,

I assume you're referring to Tractor Grease Fittings; i.e., those typically lubricated via a standard grease gun via zerk fittings.

In the JD 212 Service Manual (SM2105) regarding tractor grease fittings, it calls for, "John Deere Multipurpose Lubricant SAE (SeasonalGrade) or equivalent Multipurpose-Type Grease."
I typically have used Lucas Red 'N' Tacky Grease. Lucas claims this grease, "...is a smooth, tacky, red lithium complex grease fortified with rust and oxidation inhibitors." It has a National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI) rating of GC-LB, which indicates it is a grease that is acceptable for both chassis and wheel bearing lubrication. However, in the past I have used greases with the NGI rating of #2. Here is a good article on the subject:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29658/multi-purpose-grease

Now -- I also have a question about what grease - specifically, the type of grease called for in the PTO clutch bearing.
In the JD 212 Service Manual it calls for, "Dry bearing thoroughly and repack it with JohnDeere High-Temperature grease (AT30408) or its equivalent."
I haven't determined what an equivalent is - yet. What grease are your using on your clutches?

GWH

#10 ·
I don't know the MIL spec but I did locate this at:

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Multi-Purpose-SD-Polyurea-Gun-Grease-TY6341.html

John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Gun Grease - TY6341

Service rating:

• Equipment manufacturers' extended service intervals
  • NLGI grade 2
  • JDM J13E1, J13E4, J13E5 and J25C
  • GC-LB

Physical properties:
    • Green color (emerald)
    • Polyurea thickened
    • Paraffinic-base oil with EP and anti-rust additives
    • 14-oz. tube compatible with most grease guns $4.13 / tube
    Formerly named Non-Clay grease

I also submitted a question to their customer support team asking if the above grease meets John Deere's AT30408 equivalent grease.

When / if I get a response, I'll share it here.........

GWH

#11 ·
From what I've seen, making sure you use grease, and it actually goes in is more important then what type you use. I generally look for white lithium, but will grab name brand multi purpose. Last year I had a boat, so everything got marine grease until it ran out. I did avoid high speed bearings until I got some normal stuff, even though the boat used it in that application too.

I am enjoying the thread, and learning more about different applications.

#12 ·
...I use the Marine grease, believe it is a Mystick product, blue in color. I think it's rated for wheel bearings. I have a pint can, and the tube in the gun. I have had real good luck with it. I bought a couple of tubes of the Deere Corn head grease, but still have some of the marine on the gun. Have heard some good stuff on the corn head grease too...especially for low temp / wet functions. Like others I think the main thing is to use a brand, but more importantly to do it! One thing I did notice on the last greasing I did on the mower deck spindles was that I put a few extra pumps in...it did fling around on the top of the deck...maybe to thin?? (or too much!)

#13 ·
KB / Bob,
I agree - using any grease is better than not using any grease! :thumb:

Bob,
Does your Mstick marine (blue) grease can say anything like JT-6 on it? I'm not sure if Mystik has more than one blue marine grease. I don't know if this is the same as what you're using ( Mystik JT-6 High Performance Marine Grease ) but the JT-6 grease has a NGI rating of 2 with a temperature range ceiling of 250*F. See here: http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20086.pdf

As far as the JD Corn Head Grease, it has a NGI rating of '0' and a temperature use range ceiling of 330*F. See it here: http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

The JD Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Gun Grease - TY6341 (mentioned earlier) has a temperature use ceiling of 350*F.

I'd guess that the marine grease is "too light" with a 250*F ceiling use temperature for your mower deck spindle use. You may be better served with the Corn Head grease (330*F) or the Multi-Purpose TY6341 grease (350*F).

GWH

#14 ·
I personally use Lucas myself. At work we use Mobil Red and some off-brand peanut butter colored stuff for motor bearings and pumps. Guess what we are always running out of...yep, the Mobil Red. The drop point is low on both Lucas and Mobil Red, meaning you will have some possible drips coming from your bearings, but it doesn't affect the properties significantly. I have always liked Lucas though.

#15 ·
Because of our cooler temperatures up here, I made a switch from NLGI-2 to Mobil EP EPIC Moly which is an NLGI -1.5 It is a tough grease that you can still push through a grease gun at -40C if you have to, for example, the drive shaft of the 37A snow blower, and not have to keep the grease gun on top of the wood stove for 3 hours. It gets used just about everywhere on the farm except those areas that require food grade grease, such as grain bin sweep augers and such. Excellent wash out resistance, quite sticky, and can be used in high temp situations if necessary.

Mobil Epic EP MOLY
http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENGRSMOMOBIL_EPIC_GREASE.aspx

#16 ·
You have 2 choices when the manufacture says "John Deere Multipurpose Lubricant SAE (SeasonalGrade) or equivalent Multipurpose-Type Grease.", either look up all the specifications then find someone who makes the equivalent or buy the product. The engineer who was the designer of the item you are lubricating published what he thought was the best. If ya got the time, look around if you dont have the time, purchase the item specified.

When in air conditioning school the teacher told us to either buy the high priced chiller compressor oil or spend lots of time finding the equivalent, time is money and if you put in what you think is the equivalent and it is not and the compressor scrambles, you might be buying the customer a new compressor. I hate to spend money foolishly but sometimes ya just have to take the hit.

I am the owner of equipment who has more money in it than it is worth, but my stuff is reliable. I think I am ahead, I mow and use tractor with less wrenching by trying to do things right.

David

#18 ·
I use TY6341 John Deere polyurea grease. Its priced fair and doesnt attract dirt John Deere recommends it for corn planters.
Michael

#19 ·
I hate to resurrect and old thread like this but have any of you guys come across a grease that doesn't leak out of the grease gun like a sieve? I use two different grease guns (one fixed tube and one flex tube) and they both are a mess. You pick them up and the oil runs out everywhere. Even wrapping a rag around them just soaks the rags. I'm tired of getting grease oil everywhere. I usually use a multi purpose grease but if I though the lucas tacky or whatever it is or mobile red wouldn't run all over the place, I'd go get it. Just looking for ideas. I'd love to find some old golden chassis but it doesn't exist anymore. Mike.

#28 ·
...... have any of you guys come across a grease that doesn't leak out of the grease gun like a sieve? - Mike.
Mike,
Where are you storing your grease gun? Is it in a really warm location? I haven't had standard #2 grease melting and running out of the gun....

- GWH

#24 ·
I'm just a spectator. Ive never had a gun leak or grease separate in 20 years. The guns I have now came with the house. A mini and regular. They don't have any labels. My father had a JD gun from the 70's. I buy grease at JD, napa and lowes.

My thoughts are if the grease separates in the gun trash it or use it for rust proofing. What do you think happens when you use it. My bet is oil runs off and sludge causes friction.

#29 ·
The guns just stay in the shed with the tractors and tools. Both guns are in the pan because they leaked. The guns appear to be two different manufacturers, as they are different colors but neither has a name on it. Both have different BRANDS of grease, as they always run out at different times. Even when we refilled our grease guns at work from the overhead system, they leaked. THAT was commercial grade stuff as I worked at a dealership(car). After we switched from Golden Chassis to the general purpose stuff, it all leaked, hence my search. Mike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.