Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Age old question...best tires for 420 w/44 loader

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  macshemi 
#1 ·
Hello Y'all from North Carolina,

Bought a new toy today...a 1991 420 with 219 hours and a 44 loader. Still has original turf type tires...18x8.50x8 on front and 26x12x12 on rear. Of course they are pretty well dry rotted so i am going to replace them asap.

I'm asking for opinions here and I do understand opinions are just that, but I do value opinions from WFM Members.

I'm thinking 18x8.50x8 Vredestein v61 heavy duty 5 rib tires which are 6 ply for the front and Carlisle 26x12x12 Tru-Powers for the rear.

Any advise will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

#2 ·
You won't regret the V61 tires.

Reactions: macshemi
#5 ·
Mark,

I have the same thing on two of my 400's. You'll want those 6 ply Vreds up there for the loader. The 4 ply Tru Powers are great. I ordered my last set from amazon shipped for around $215. You'll want a ton of weight on the back for the loader. I have Rimguard in one set and pure water in the other. I figure I'll either get around to adding antifreeze to them before it gets cold, or I'll just drain them and add next year. Its fast easy and cheap. Otherwise, I guess I could put it in the garage when it does get too cold.

I remember Mike Duwe saying how much weight he needed for the 44 loader. I thought it was overkill, but now I totally believe! Loaded tires AND 500 lbs on the rear makes a very capable loader. Otherwise it will lift, but you'll have no traction to dig.

Mike

#7 ·
Well...all done and installed. Bought the 6 ply V61s for the front and the 4 ply Carlisle Tru Powers for the rear. HOWEVER, the original tires were foam filled, heavy as everything and I really had a hard time finding a tire store to break them down and mount the new tires - yes...all 4 were foam filled. Anyway, I did find a local tire store to break them down and mount my new set. They had to saw off the old tires, send the rims to Charlotte to a tire store there so they could soak them in their vats to dissolve the remaining foam. The rims came back looking like new ones - with the original paint still in place. The local tire store mounted all four. The rear tires were loaded with Rim Guard and just air in the fronts.

Love them!!!!!

Thanks guys for the advice.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.