Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Electric lift won't stay put....

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  brg 
#1 ·
Hi Fellas,

My '75 212 is equipped with the optional electric lift used to lift the rotary mower deck. It works great - BUT, it won't stay put.

As you may know, the height adjustment is controlled via a knurled knob located on the left side of the tower, just forward of the lift lever. Well, I adjust the deck height fairly high on the scale of 1-7, about a 6 (which produces about a 3.5" cut), but then within 2-3 minutes of mowing, the adjustment will dial itself down the scale to a 5, which produces a cut shorter than I prefer. So I have to keep stopping and check the scale and adjust it back up.

Does anyone have an idea or suggestion as to how to stop the adjusting knob from turning itself down ?

GWH

#2 ·
Don't know for certain cause the knob is just a remnant on mine, the shaft is capped with two normal nuts run against each other, but I think the big spinner bar under the knurled top knob is supposed to lock the height in place unless you change it...that's the way I understand what I've been told by others anyway.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, tmac.

I guess I'm going to have to drop the deck and get my mirrors out to try and see up under there to see how it works and how to keep it from adjusting itself....

GWH

#5 ·
Brent,
Thanks a bunch for the explanation and especially the picture! :thumb:
I will look for the metal tab that should rub on the knurled knob......

Is there any way / or an idea as to which is the best way to look, reach, get to that area without having the tractor tower removed?

GWH

#7 ·
Taking the side panel off is actually pretty easy. There are a few 7/16" headed bolts on the side that need to be removed and one 1/2" headed bolt that goes up from under the tractor into an L bracket thats on the bottom of the panel. The 7/16" nut that is top right on the panel (kind of under the dash) only needs to be loosened because the hole in the tower is slotted. Once you get those removed then you have to unplug the harness that goes to the motor (the plug is near the motor under the tractor) and slide the link bar off the pin that is on the tractor (the link bar is the piece that's hanging off the plastic drum in the picture and goes out of view on the bottom edge of the picture)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.