Weekend Freedom Machines banner

214 battery charging system

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  woodpecker41 
#1 ·
Hi I have a GT262 the electromagnetic clutch kicks out once you mow for a while (30-45min)then it dose it continuously after that (might only work for 1-10min max). I replace the switch, and the clutch. That didn't fix it, any advice or tips? Thanks

#3 ·
Well I was able to do some brief checking today, I was using a charger that gives readouts battery percentage of charge, voltage and how much the alternator is putting out as a percentage. Everything looked ok with the tractor while it was just sitting there running(12.4-14.2). But for some reason once the mower deck was turned on the battery voltage stayed the same but the charging system percentage dropped from 100% down to 62-75%. What dose this tell me?

#4 ·
Either the PTO clutch is drawing to much current or there is another electrical load problem. It could be as simple as the voltage regulator could be going bad and not producing enough current. It might be producing the right voltage but not enough amperage. It might be cheaper to have a dealer do the repair at this point instead of throwing expensive parts at it. You could also talk with the dealers service rep and he/she may tell you that they have put a lot of VRs for example on tractors like yours that were showing similar problems. The VR is only a guess on my part. Roger

#5 ·
At this point, I would check the resistance of the clutch coil. If it is too low, indicating winding shorted together, it will cause high current draw.

I'm not familiar with a charger that provides that % figure. What does that represent, charge available from the alternator versus current draw or what???

#6 ·
Robert,
I'm not familiar with the GT262 or its PTO clutch, however, I did have a 318 that exhibited similar symptoms. In my case, once the engine and PTO coil were well warmed up, the clearance between the PTO coil and the PTO clutch was reduced enough that the PTO clutch was rubbing the PTO coil windings and shorting them out. Occasionally the short would be long enough to blow the fuse but for the most part the clutch would just drop and/or engine would die. If I let the machine sit for 15-30 minutes, it would be good to go again until everything warmed back up. I see that you replaced the clutch but I don't know what adjustment there is, if any, on that model.

TimF

#7 ·
Thank you guys for all your tips sorry it has taken me so long to get back with what seems to be the final problem. It turns out it was a problem with the module, with that being bad it also fried the new switch. So with both things replace it seems to be working good. Thanks again!

#8 ·
I have a JD 214 with a 37A snow blower. When I blow snow without the headlights on, the engine runs fine. With the lights on, it starts to miss. When I shut the unit down, often the battery is discharged, and I have to charge the battery and keep a maintainer on it so it will start the next time. Am I having trouble with the charging system (stator assembly) or do I have a short somewhere (head lights) or ??? Responses helpful.

#11 ·
i have a 18 hp kawasaki 325 gx battery shows good untill i start it and volt meter is all over the place and wont charge always have to swap out batteries while the other is on the charger Please help Disabled vet and i sit on my wheel chair when not on mower helps to get out

#12 ·
Terry see my answer 2 posts above yours. If you don't want to throw money away get the service manual and do all the tests exactly as the manual says and you will find the problem. A JD dealer might even make a copy of thepart of the manual you need. I would expect you may get charged for the copies. There unfortunately not easy correct answers to your questiions. Welcome to WFM. Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.