Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Need advice lost primary belt today.

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ZWILDZR1 
#1 ·
I have a ton of leaves left to clean up and they are now so wet that neither my leaf blower nor my bagger are good options. I was thinking if I could at least get them blown into rows, I could use my 40 loader to pick them up and move them, but of course can't move much in that bucket. Given that they are so light, I was thinking a much larger bucket might be practical. A separate bucket would be nice, but I was even picturing something as simple as a plywood bucket that would attach to the standard bucket and could be put on just for the leaf cleanup, then folded up and put away until next year.

Has anyone done anything like this? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? If I'm going to use it this year, it can't take tons of time to construct or I'd probably be better off just throwing everything on tarps and moving them that way. I always prefer to work smarter, not harder, though, so I thought I would maybe give this a shot.

#2 ·
Was doing a little more searching and found this thread on TBN which is basically exactly what I was thinking. Does anyone have any input as to what size would scale well to a 40 loader on a 425? (the third post is what I had in mind, though I would try to hinge it somehow so it would fold flat when not in use)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/211693-leaf-bucket.html

#5 ·
My tractor had been sitting about 4 years before this. I got it running no trouble and rebuilt the carb and it runs better than ever. While it sat kids playing must have moved the variator. I noticed that it would not move in the first three notches so I adjusted it according to the manual. Right after the adjustment I was surprised cause in the manual it said if you don't have function on the first two notches you will need a new belt. It worked in all the notches and I was surprised. I usually park it in the garage in the first notch and when I go to mow or plow I let the variator out to the last notch and adjust speed by pushing in the clutch some and back to full speed. Today I had just got done and back in the garage when it started making all kinds of noise. All I checked at this point is the primary belt is toast it was shredded to pieces. The sheave on the variator it was on was too hot to touch. Probably 8 years ago I replaced the belt going to the transaxle but not the primary. When I was plowing in 4th gear variator in the last notch it was slowing down like the belt was slipping and it just didn't want to push anymore. It just seemed like it was not how it usually would push better giving up sooner. Usually in this situation like pushing into a big pile of snow the rear wheels would want to keep turning even though the tractor it self had stopped. I am wondering if the belt was just stretched from age and being worn and slipping and getting hot destroyed it or is it the Variator. The only thing I can say is that the tractor was working in all the notches. Push it forward it sped up pull it back and it would slow. I did notice that if you were in the first notch and plowing up hill it seemed to quit pushing sooner than if you let it out a few notches. I am hoping that it was just because the belt was old and slipping from the wear. I will replace the transaxle belt too and have all new ones now.

#6 ·
Dave,
Just a few thoughts. If the tractor sat, the center sheave may be stuck. If a belt is shredded, maybe the problem is at the other end of the drive. If you replace both belts, and thats the only way to do it, make sure the center sheave moves as do all of the pulleys. then adjust the variator. The pivot on the variator could be frozen as well. That was discussed in a recent post about a variator as well. It's easiest to check the pivots and grease everything when the belts are off so be sure everything pivots and spins..Check all this out and let us know what you find.

Dom

#8 ·
1:When you push the clutch down the variator swings toward the engine and releases the tension on the primary drive belt.
2; when you let the clutch out the variator moves away from the engine and tightens the primary belt and drives the tractor.
3; as the variator moves farther from the engine the grove the primary belt is in gets wider and now the variator is spinning faster at he same time the secondary belt grove on the variator has gotten narrower and the pulley on the transaxle is at max rpm.

#9 ·
Dave, Edward hit the nail on the head with his explaination. Not only does the sheave need to slide, the entire variator needs to pivot some. There is a longer 3" (or so) bolt that holds the variator in position. It should rotate freely on that bolt some. If you look at the parts diagram on jdparts.com, you'll see it as number 7 in the diagram
Click on keeping it Green at the top of the page and under where it reads 'Parts" click 'john deere parts diagram'. That takes you straight to the website. Then put 212 in the search and check exact search. #130 is the variator page in a sectional search. Part number 7

Good luck

#10 ·
Dave, The (4) bolt and (5) are most likely seized. Mine were seized. I'm referring to the thread "Primary Belt Replacement" started by Gene. I have the same problem. I did get them out and cleaned them up. Put in some new "O" rings. The grease fitting was also seized. Cleaned that out also and re-greased. A JD mechanic told me to clean center variator sheave with carb cleaner and only put 2 drops on oil on it. Don't over oil. I mic'ed the (15) center sheave and it's very close to what it should be. Center sheave s/b O.D. 1.999 - 2.001. They are available thru JD for $180. Orginal JD on ebay for $132. I'm spending a lot of time on this, so if I can help let me know. I took apart the 3 sheaves from the variator, and it wasn't easy.
Next step is to re-install and try it out. I'll let you all know.

#11 ·
Edward thank you for the explanation. I find it easier to work on something if you better understand how it functions. I didn't do anything with it today cause it only was 22 degrees here in Pa. and it has been even colder last few days or even the week. I keep it in the garage but not heated. I plan on taking a look at it today and I will let everyone know what I find out. I will do both belts after I fix whatever the trouble is. I have to say that I was surprised I was able to adjust the variator two weeks ago and that the bolt came lose and I was able to push down like the manual said. I'm sure the adjustment helped being the demise to the primary belt. Dom, I was looking at JD parts Sunday night looking at the variator assembly to further get an idea of how it works and all the parts involved. I find JD parts to be a big help. I also use it along with my dealer to check against ebay prices. Most of the time I find I can actually get the parts from my local dealer cheaper than on ebay. Not so with the bearing and center section the center sheave slides on though as ebay is cheaper. But anyway thanks for all the help I really appreciate it cause I do all my own work. I was an auto parts changer for many years doing mostly front ends brakes and anything suspension. But working on these tractors I find this website most helpful with all the highly knowledgeable people here know their tractors. Thanks again I will share my findings and if I need help this is the place.

#13 ·
I am sure glad the WFM is up and running. I love the new format. I wanted to post a couple shots of my tractor while talking about the variator and what I found. The first photo is off my 210 resting in the garage with my black 91 Corvette ZR1 and my white 96 LT1 coupe. The variator was in super shape and I found that the center sheave spins free and also slides as the bearing surface is clean and shiny. The whole variator looks great nice and clean and free of dirty and grease. Do I need to give that area any lube, and what should I use? Currently I only have WD40, and Militech lube. I will check to make sure that the variator pivots like it should and find the grease fitting. Using the jdparts page can someone point out the two bolts that need to be free to allow it to function or pivot the way it should. I guess keeping the tractor indoors all it's life really does wonders for keeping it in nice working condition. Thanks for your help. I will take a couple photos of the variator from underneath later. The next couple photos of it will be of the tractor when it was just a few weeks new after getting it. They show a very young me, looking really geeky and my older sister sitting with me from May of 1978 hope you like them. Also ones of me playing in the snow it's first year too.

#14 ·

The last three are of me inside the John Deere Museum at their head quarters in Moline. Hope you like the photos.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.