Need help disassembling a 47 blower - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help disassembling a 47 blower

Display Name: Erik

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Rochester - we got about 18" where I am, with drifts higher than the cutter bars of course. 47 Quickhitch made short work of it. Might have to break out the 54 blade later and do some cleanup
    looked like you guys got hit hard. Glad you had fun.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Thanks
    Ok guys, another 47" question: One of the seals on the PTO gear box is leaking and I now have the seal in my possession from JD. Has anyone here replaced one and if so, so you have any tips for this gear box? Thanks

Display Name: Neil Paku

Thanks
    I don't sorry Erik, my 47 is the chain-drive Quickhitch version.Still I can't imagine it's anything unusual. Are you planning to swap out just the seal? If so, you can use the two-self-tapping screws trick to dig the old one out, and a piece of clean pipe as a drift to knock the new one in. Before you do install it though, inspect the seal surface on the shaft for a wear groove. If there is one, drive the seal in either further if it can go in further, or just short of where the other one was e.g. 1/16 to 1/8" shy of the original depth, so that the seal bears on a new, full-diameter surface.
    Also, check before you do anything for play in the bearing - your seal replacement might be short-lived.

Thanks
    HI Neil,

Just the seal. I will try the two screw method and then push the new one in. I will check out your listed concerns above. I don't believe there is play in the bearing but I will double check. Thanks for the input. I will hopefully do this tomorrow.

Thanks
    So I used Neil's suggestion of self taping screws combined with a tie-rod puller to remove the seal. Worked perfectly. I also had the correct size PVC pipe lying around and used it as a drift to set the new seal. All is well. Thanks for the response Neil.

Display Name: Neil Paku

Thanks
    Great outcome! No oil leaks?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123