332 fly wheel markings

Thread: 332 fly wheel markings

Display Name: William Barker

Thanks

332 fly wheel markings

Went out to adjust the valves on my 332. I read the John Deere 220 engine manual so I would know what to do. Looked simple, just find the #1 TDC mark on the fly wheel, then note whether the #1 valves were up or down, if down turn another 360, then adjust. The markings in the manual seemed pretty clear. Well, I don't have a line marked with a 1 like in the manual. I have lines with a 2 and a 3, plus at least 2 others with no marking associated with them. Any body else experienced this? Any words of wisdom?

Bill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Display Name: RussK
    Thanks
    Bill,

Are you sure about which manual you posted getting info from? JD 220 engine versus the engine in JD 332? Seems like wrong manual to me

Display Name: Chuck Van Dusen
    Thanks
    Bill,

The correct manual for the diesel Yanmar three cylinder diesels as used in the 430 is the CTM-3. Here is an excerpt that shows how to adjust the valves -- please note that the TDC marks are different for early engines versus the later ones.

430 engine valve adjustment.pdf

Chuck

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Chuck,
    The manual I have is the 10 Aug 93 version of the CTM3 for the John Deere 220 series Diesel Engines. The instructions I have been using are identical to the ones you posted. The picture on bottom of page 1-135 of your post is what I am looking for. However, my flywheel has no marking that matches that one. That is the problem. I have one with a "2" and one with a "3", plus at least more two lines that have no markings. If I had a line like the post with a "1" near it I wouldn't be here typing this. Plus, I cannot watch the valve train move while I turn the motor.

Bill

Thanks
    Bill,

What is the serial number on your engine?? there are early and late versions -- and the early one has the TDC mark on the pulley and not the flywheel as explained in the first few steps of the excerpt I posted...

* 430 Lawn and Garden Tractors were built with two slightly different versions of 3TNA72UJ engines. In
    this manual, 3TNA72UJ engines, Serial Numbers ( - 5000), are referred to as “Early 3TNA72”. Engines
    with Serial Numbers (5001 - ) are referred to as “Later 3TNA72”.

This would be the last digits of the engine ID plate...

Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck,
    The motor in my 332 is a 3TNA66UJ. The 3TNA72UJ motor is in a 430. There is only one version of the 3TNA66UJ listed in the manual.

Bill Barker

Thanks
    My mistake and I really got off on a tangent -- sorry!!

Do you have the index mark on the cover of the flywheel as shown in the illustration on the lower left of page 1-135? Do either of the lines that appear to have no number allow the push rods on the #1 cylinder to get a bit loose per the description? If so that is the mark you are looking for. If this is not true for either mark for either time that they come around in a 720 degree rotation, then I am not sure what to try next...

Chuck

Thanks
    Well, after many choice words for whoever marked the flywheel and numerous rotations of the flywheel, I figured it out. While the manual shows a "1" the actual marking on my flywheel is a faint "I". In other words just a line above the other line. I had to use chalk to see the marking. See the picture below. There are six marks on the flywheel. I have also attached the image as a pdf. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files