Weekend Freedom Machines banner

I now have 5 JD 100 round fendered mowers..

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  lgates110 
#1 ·
I'm wonderin if they r the biggest collection in the USA.. the one in the pic is the latest I aquired.. it was fully restored by a guy in Northern Missouri.. I will say he did a nice job on it.. it came with all the books.. & he had a front blade for it..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice! I have only been collecting round fenders, but I must say the 100 is one of my favourites. I usually let my daughter mow with it because of the easy shifting, foot pans & side panels so she may not get burns. I hope one day mine looks as nice as that.

#3 ·
I have always been a big fan of the 100 Lawn Tractor as it was my first Deere and I still own it. Looks like the previous owner did a decent job on the restoration but I do see a couple minor details that are not stock: coil seat springs, wide front hood decal (probably off of a model 108 as the JD100 decal has been NLA for quite some time), and possibly the wrong discharge shoot guard on the model 34 rotary mower (based on the pivot pin at the leading edge of the deck which implies it should have the later style guard). As for owning the most of this model, it’s hard to say as there are some out there that run salvage yards. Always liked the model 100 for its excellent fuel economy and the Peerless 1206 transaxle is way more forgiving if shifting without coming to a stop than the 2300 series.

#6 · (Edited)
he may b here.. I saw his ad on MTF while campin.. never haggled the price.. was 4th of July.. swung by his place & dropped off a check with camper in tow.. week later we picked it up.. years before that met him at Ankeny Iowa at a college 'mow in' bought some stuff from him for a 60 rf..

OOOHHH.. if u speak to him let him know he did a great job (from me).. we took it to a show that fall & I got hurt when a different 100 took me backwards into a ditch... spent a year healin up.. lost a lotta hide on the right chin bone..

#13 · (Edited)
the 60/70 models may run hot.. but the 100 had a 8 horse B & S in it.. the air for the coolin was drawed in the engine from under the gas tank.. if the coolin fins were kept clean (no mouse apartment) they would not run hot.. the coolin air was then vented over the muffler.. the side shields made the engine run quieter.. it did the same for the 200-300-400 series too..

the shields needed to b removed to get access to the engine.. when u opened the hood of a 100.. all u could see of the engine was the oil dip stick.. the oil drain spout & the upper end of the spark plug.. after removin the shields some guys didn't put them back on.. (due to engine issues).. this is when some got damaged or lost..

#15 ·
Not the same exact frame on those 3 models. 60s had solid mount engines. 70s had rubber mounted engines. 60s and 70s used the same hood as a RF tractor. 100s had their own type of hood. cowls may or may not be the same. I will check and see if I can find out for sure. 60s and 70s didn't have heating prblems but did have oiling and throwing rods problems. Roger

#17 ·
To make things worse there were 3 different 70 frames and 2 different 60 frames and at least 1 maybe 2 100 frames. Now if you have metal working skills and know a bit about body work you can make almost anything. This is a tractor of mine. Basic tractor is a CC 1100 with JD 200 series front sheet metal and a Sears Tecunseh OH 160 engine. Roger

Attachments

#24 ·
The 70I you've seen may be mine: Transport Vehicle Motor vehicle Asphalt Mode of transport
Thinking about selling it now!

Yes, I refurbished the 100, sold it because I just had too much "stuff". With the bigger tractors, I'm getting into the "too much stuff" area again.

The little 100 came from Des Moines, the guy I bought it from had been using it as his main mower.

My modified tractors (70 I, 317 Special & L/60 custom) all started out as partial tractors.

Reactions: mitchdaly
#20 ·
Naw, 5 isn't a world record.

I knew a guy that had over 30 60/70/100's I'm sure there are more people like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.