Weekend Freedom Machines banner

400 PTO help

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jeepinpete 
#1 ·
My new to me 400 has a PTO issue. Start the tractor up, all is fine. After a couple minutes, the deck blades will start spinning, and pretty quickly spin up to full speed. This is with the PTO level in the off position. There is enough power being transmitted to mow some substantial grass.

Some background. This 400 has been repowered by a Vanguard 23hp V twin. The idler was shot, so I replaced that today, and loosened the PTO cable since it appears the PTO brake may have been lifted off of the lower pulley. I do not see any other adjustments in there.

My thinking right now is the belts may be too short. Also the PTO brake certainly doesn't seem to be doing anything. Can't seem to find may pictures online to help out.

Thanks,
Pete

#2 ·
The pto tensioner spring is key on the 420/430. I I'm digging deep in memory that might be poo, but I think 400 has similar.

On walk behind snowblowers Ive seen similar it was solved by a wire belt guide that keeps the slack position from rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Is the engagement cable stretched?

#7 ·
Thanks guys.

- The engagement cable looks to be a home brew with the repower. I adjusted it today to add more slack, but the PTO linkages cannot move any further.
- Definitely no snubbers on this tractor.

Does anyone have a picture of a stock PTO setup in the disengaged position. It would help to see how the belts should look.

Thanks again,
Pete

#9 ·
Be sure to put that #3 belt guide, in post#8, under the motor mount bracket , not on top next to the shroud. Otherwise the belts drag. My memory says #7 goes on top of mount. Could be wrong on that side, Sorry. Best to use JD matched pair of belts. I wish they really were matched. JD is very poor about that even though tied together as shipped. David

#10 ·
Since it has been repowered by a Vanguard, the engine pulley may or may not be exactly in the stock location. If it is not in the stock location, the JD belts probably won't work, and it could take some work to find the right belts. It might just be a problem with the guides or brake, but it could be that the belts are just too short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.