Love Your Storage Shipping Container(s)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love Your Storage Shipping Container(s)?

Display Name: JDF
    Thanks

Love Your Storage Shipping Container(s)?

I checked into building a metal building for my property in eastern Colorado and after the figures came in I decided to just buy a couple of shipping containers and MAYBE someday connect the two with a roof between them forming a garage type carport. I see these things being used all over and was never really attracted to the idea mainly for the sheer uglyness of CHINA SHIPPING on the sides and their puke colors but after seeing what can be bought I decided to buy the best container(s) I could. I ended up buying two new (one trip)40 footers that look great. I ordered two that is what I wanted, double doors on both ends, extra height at 9.5 feet, new one trippers, and 40 feet long.
    A one trip container is one that was built in Asia, loaded with cargo, shipped across the ocean, unloaded, and put up for sale. If you can afford it, thats the way to go, I cann't see where these have been used at all really. The floor is brand new, the door gaskets are new and perfect, the ouside looks great with no company claim markings, and it matches the landscape of the area it will call home. As of this writing, one has been delivered and the second one will be delivered May 20th providing the weather is dry.
    What do you think? I love it!

After experiencing buying a shipping container and looking around at others that I see, I'd like to pass along some friendly advice for anyone considering buying a shipping container for their property.
    #1. Buy a new 1 trip container. The door gaskets, flooring, and paint will out last you. I am amazed on how new mine looks.
    #2. Buy one with doors on both ends, even if you don't think you need them. Trust me, you'll love that feature.
    #3. Buy the 40 foot container if you have room for one. The 20 footers cost almost the same as the 40s. .
    #4. Buy the high cube style which means the ceiling is 9.5 feet tall.
    #5. Make sure you buy a container that has the door handles that are like 4.5 feet from the ground. The containers with handles close to the ground are harder to open and close.
    #6. DO NOT buy a weather beaten, salt rusted, 20 footer, 8 feet ceiling height, rotting door gaskets, low door handles, and it says "China Shipping" on its side for $1000 less even if you are saving money, have some class man, lol

Let's see what you have,,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images

JDF/SWAMPFOX/JERRY

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Administrator
    Display Name: Terry Reed
    Thanks
    I often thought about using something like that, but haven't figured out prices nor logistics on getting one moved and put in place on my property. Other than the ugly factor that you mentioned, they would seem to be a good option for storage, depending on cost of everything.
    1965 110, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2002 717Z, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

4. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Mo For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    I often thought about using something like that, but haven't figured out prices nor logistics on getting one moved and put in place on my property. Other than the ugly factor that you mentioned, they would seem to be a good option for storage, depending on cost of everything.
    Most likely the seller either has a delivery option for you or knows someone who will deliver.They are being sold at such a rate that 2 didferent sellers told me the prices are going up almost weekly, if only by $20 or so. They told me mine would cost probably $1000 more here in 2 months or so... we'll see. I DO know mine are like $800 more than when I almost bought one 2 years ago. My seller delivered mine for the selling price but another seller wanted $600 to deliver and return to the place of business.($100 per hour, 6 hours)
    One of mine cost $5135 including tax, free delivery.
    You can buy the ugly worn ones for around $3500 to $4500 plus delivery.
    Or I see them on Ebay cheaper but..... shipping may be costly.
    So... Yes, I have $10K in two containers but that beats the $18K to $20 I was going to have in a 24x36 building.

JDF/SWAMPFOX/JERRY

6. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: John Johnson
    Thanks
    Don't have a shipping container. They wanted about $4000 for new one around here and the used ones were $1500-2000 for a 20-30 foot long one that was beat up, broken doors etc.
    I went this route but much nicer shape. Cost $1500 delivered and set on stone pad I made. 20'x8' wide, white with no markings on side so it doesn't stand out & look ugly.

Will try to get some pics this weekend.
    Last edited by lt230s; 05-12-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    John J.

'69 112H-project waiting to happen
    '72 110 - daily worker w/ 39 deck, 43 blade, 37A blower
    bunch of off color GTs also

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lt230s For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (05-13-2017)

Display Name: Chuck Van Dusen
    Thanks
    Jerry,

I agree that buying a one-trip unit is the way to go. Another caution is to stay away from the insulated ones, as the insulation often has mice/rats (don't ask me how I know...)

At one point I bought a 20 or 30 foot unit (can't recall exactly) for my off-grid property in Mendocino county in California in the late 1970's because the unimproved gravel roads/grades/switchbacks would preclude a full 40 foot unit. Nothing gets you secure storage as fast as having one of these containers delivered.

Chuck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chuckv For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (05-14-2017)

Display Name: Travis
    Thanks
    Used car racing trailers are also a good option and can be even longer. Also they don't cause you to pay more in property taxes and is mobile. We have found that put with 150 snowmobiles. We have a few trailers detected for a certain type of sled. Like mine sleds or racing or air sleds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to coalminer16 For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (05-14-2017)

Thanks
    I bought two of these Home Depot Turbine roof vents for my Cans, I will have small screened 2 inch vents for the bottom to allow air flow. I'll install the 12 inch vent on the roof at one end and the smaller vents on the bottom sides of the opposite end to creat a draft. The roof vent is like the whirlyturbine but this has no moving parts, it's designed specially to create a draw with a slight breeze. The Container can reach high temps in the high altitude sun and ventilation for condensation is good also. Our container at my work has gas and chainsaws in it and it reeks of gasoline because of no vents, and it's not sealed as well as mine is. I figure with tractor stuff and log splitter etc, I need vents.

I used only my 322, garden plow, and rear blade to cut the ground level and get rid of excess dirt around the lot. Then I used my pull behind aerator cart to make it look nice. I got rained out and now am waiting for May 20th for deleivery of the second unit weather permitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JDF/SWAMPFOX/JERRY

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDF/ SwampFox For This Useful Post:

KB (Yesterday),mitchdaly (05-17-2017)

Display Name: John Johnson
    Thanks
    Finally got some pictures of my box trailer shed. Sorry for the mess. My son already has most of his stuff inside & out.
    DSC02092.JPG DSC02094.JPG
    Last edited by lt230s; 05-18-2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    John J.

'69 112H-project waiting to happen
    '72 110 - daily worker w/ 39 deck, 43 blade, 37A blower
    bunch of off color GTs also

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lt230s For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (05-19-2017),KB (Yesterday)

Display Name: Grant Baker
    Thanks
    Cans are great,we have one at our hunt camp,this is water tight and it was free
    can1.jpg
    ,1966 60 parts tractor,1968 60 w/mower,1968 110 side tag w/ 43 snow blade, 1968 110 w/1974 80 cart,1968 112 w/mower,1969 110 w/Haban 420W sickle mower,1972 110,​1997 LX277 w/mower and blower,43C center blade

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grant Baker For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (Yesterday),KB (Yesterday)

Display Name: Jim Briney

Thanks
    Id thought about one of these. Would be hard to get it delivered though. Not a lot of places for a big truck to turn around, and with all the trees, it would be hard to find a good spot to put one.
    Sure beats the heck out of a shed though!
    Jim B

87 318
    76 300
    49 Snow Thrower, 54 Blade, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/my 3-point bracket, 50" Deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger
    2 80 carts and a 17AT cart.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lodogg2221 For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (Yesterday)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast