318 with stuck spool valve

Thread: 318 with stuck spool valve

Display Name: Doug Hank

Thanks

318 with stuck spool valve

Hey all,

I spoke to some of you about my 318 restoration. I had it stripped down to the bare frame and axles. It's pretty well put back together. Today I got the power steering working as well as the tractor driving forward and reverse. I had some electrical and mechanical things to sort out on the way but nothing I couldn't figure out.

One mechanical issue I want to resolve before I go any further pertains to the hydraulic controls. While it was stripped down I cleaned the levers and got them freed up and working smoothly. Now they are installed and hooked to the hydraulic valve. I noticed when I hooked up the linkage I could get the inner control lever to work the sppol valve in and out but the outer lever/spool valve is locked up solid. After getting the system filled and running today I still have the same issue. I'm suspecting the inner control lever is for the front hydraulic ports since the deck lift cylinder was not responding to the different positions. The other spool valve is still locked up and I cant seem to get it free.
    Does anyone have any tips on getting it freed up without opening the valve body and disturbing seals? With the larger wet systems I'm used to I typically tap gently on the spool valve with a rubber mallet to get it moving and it typically works free with some penetrating oil but I don't have the real estate to get a mallet in there to tap on the spool. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Doug
    Semper Fidelis

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Display Name: Iron Mike Golf

Thanks
    I'd pull the valve off the tractor, then remove the cap and spring from the end of the spool. Then tap with rubber mallet (or press the link end down onto a wooden surface) so you can pull the spool and inspect it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Iron Mike Golf For This Useful Post:

Pocono318 (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike Golf View Post
    I'd pull the valve off the tractor, then remove the cap and spring from the end of the spool. Then tap with rubber mallet (or press the link end down onto a wooden surface) so you can pull the spool and inspect it.
    Is there any O-rings in there I should be aware of or need to replace when its apart?
    Semper Fidelis

6. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Iron Mike Golf

Thanks
    Yes. O rings for the spools and also for the check valves. You might also take the cap and spring off the other spool so you can clean and inspect the detent parts (detent extension, balls, and springs). Water condenses and collects under these caps. Get on the John Deere parts Catalog web site. There's a serial number break for the hydro control valve.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Iron Mike Golf For This Useful Post:

Pocono318 (05-12-2017)

Display Name: Shady

Thanks
    What I always try first. I'm lazy and take apart as little as possible. I soak the plunger with penetrating fluid. Then place the point of a long screwdriver on the end of the plunger and tap the handle of the screwdriver. When it breaks loose I continue with the penetrating fluid and work the handle back and forth many times until the plunger goes in and out very smoothly.

I'd much rather pull the engine than that valve. Oh if you should pull the engine you can stand the 318 on its tail and that makes soaking the plunger more effective.

Best to have the gas tank empty should you try this.
    Last edited by shady; 05-12-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks
    So I took the green caps off the back of the hydraulic valve body in chassis. They were filled with rust and dirt and debris. I still couldn't get the spool valve working back and forth. I decided to bite the bullet and remove the valve. I had it in my vice and soaked both ends of the spool with my preferred penetrating oil(no plugs here) and let it soak. A few persuasive taps with a rubber mallet and it got freed up. I lubed up both spools real good with some oil and put the valve back in. Now the control levers move back and forth quite nicely and the deck lift finally works.

Thanks for all your input.
    Semper Fidelis

Display Name: Shady

Thanks
    I like liquid wrench but will use anything I have around.

Glad you are back in business. Next time you need to pull the valve it will be easier BUT still not the most fun you will ever have. (I hope)

ON EDIT: be sure to move your levers - all of them all the way both ways - from time to time. Non use will help them get stuck.
    Last edited by shady; 05-19-2017 at 02:44 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:

Pocono318 (05-19-2017)

Display Name: Douglas (Doug) Hager
    Thanks
    Shady that is a good tip. My 318 loader has a sluggish spool valve for that various reason. But it's hard to remember.
    "Everybody is a genius.
    But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein