Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1965 110 Mower Deck Tensioner

845 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mm210 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am fairly new to vintage JD’s and a few months back I purchased a 1965 110. After servicing it I have been using it as a primary mower and it has been working great, until this past Sunday. There is a spring that pulls tension on the belt that drives the 38” mower deck and it appears to have fatigued and failed, resulting in the belt dropping. Seems fairly straight forward, but I am not having much luck finding the spring that is needed. All I have been finding is a spring that appears to have an adjustable T handle to adjust tension, but that does not appear to be what was used. Unfortunately, some of the spring is missing (in my yard somewhere). It looks as if it connected to a fairly large piece of cast metal which has a pulley attached to it (below PTO) and that the other end attached to the bottom side of the large bracket on the front where the front wheel spindles mount to. BUT, I’m not 100% on this.

The spring is approximately 0.8” diameter and the coiled free length appears to be about 4”. I can try to upload pictures this evening.

Mark

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I spoke with a dealer but the only thing they could find was the spring that used to T handle to adjust tension. Is this the correct spring that should be used or is it a standard spring with hooks at each end that attach from this pulley housing to the large bracket on the front where the front wheel spindles mount?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.