300 wiring questions.

Thread: 300 wiring questions.

Display Name: Jim Briney

Thanks

300 wiring questions.

Hi all. Long time no post! LOL!

Ive got a 76 300 Im doing some work to, and its been a LONG time since I took some wiring loose. I broke my rule of not taking pictures before hand, so now that Im ready to put things back together, Im not quite sure where everything ends up.
    Positive cable is still connected, so its good.
    Negative on the other hand....where does the battery ground to? I assumed the engine, but not sure where.
    Ill have a few more after that, maybe, as Ill be replacing some of the wiring as I go along.
    I hope to have it done pretty soon.

For those that dont know, I ended up with Doug Lintons 300. Trying to get it back into fighting shape, fat tires and all! I figured it looked best that way, so thats the way Im going to keep it.
    Jim B

87 318
    76 300
    49 Snow Thrower, 54 Blade, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/my 3-point bracket, 50" Deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger
    2 80 carts and a 17AT cart.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement

Display Name: Chuck Van Dusen
    Thanks
    Jim,

Always nice to hear from you about your projects. Good call on keeping the "Linton Look" and the wide tires!! I have little experience with the closed frame tractors (mostly limited to a 317 that passed through my herd some time ago...) but here is the wiring diagram if you don't have it handy:

300 & 316K wiring diagram.jpg

As a matter of course, I would wire the heavy-gauge battery negative to the engine block as that is where the starter current is returned, then ensure a good ground wire from engine to chassis. I don't have manuals on the 300, but here is the parts catalog that has at least some sketches of the battery cables and the wiring harness -- not much detail, I'll admit...

317 PC1698.PDF

Chuck

Thanks
    Thanks Chuck! Thought of you the other day when I got your old tiller out to do some work. Still working great, and probably will be when my son is my age!

Still trying to get Doug to get back on here, but he doesnt have the same email he used to, and cant reset the password because of that.
    Jim B

87 318
    76 300
    49 Snow Thrower, 54 Blade, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/my 3-point bracket, 50" Deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Display Name: M. Drew
    Thanks
    Have him call me, we will fix him up again.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

Display Name: Brian Emerick
    Thanks
    Not 100% sure but I think on my dad's 300 the negative cable is bolted with the rear right motor mount (as sitting on tractor) & there's also a woven metal strap sandwiched with the motor mount to ground the chassis. My '78 316 is set up differently. On it the negative cable has a smaller wire also coming from it. The big cable is mounted to a bracket on top of the engine shroud & the small wire is mounted with one of the bolts that holds the battery tray. I'm pretty sure my dad's is original, but I don't know about my 316. I replaced it several years ago & tried to do it the same as it was.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    emeribd, thats what I was thinking it used to look like. The strap had been replaced by a wire, but the end isnt connected to anything but the motor mount. I assume it goes to the same place the other side does, which is one of the bolts that connect the tower to the frame.
    The other strap (there are two listed in JD parts) on the other side is in bad shape, so I might order replacements at some point, but right now I just want to get it running again.

On a side note, while Im very glad to have it (and I think Doug is glad it was me that ended up with it too), its a shame someone didnt buy it complete when it was originally for sale, with the V61 fronts, Firestone rears, 3-point, etc. When I got it, it had stock wheels all around and no 3 point. The only thing missing now is the rear 4 ply Firestones, and they should be on the way next week!
    Jim B

87 318
    76 300

Display Name: Iron Mike Golf

Thanks
    Let me run out and eyeball mine.

Display Name: Iron Mike Golf

Thanks
    OK. Battery negative runs to the right side dash tower panel, between it and the front mounting bolt for the battery tray. There is a braided strap that runs from where the right side dash tower panel is bolted to the frame to the right rear engine mount. It is under the rubber isolator there.

Thanks
    Thanks! I plan to work on it tonight after work, so that will help. Hopefully it will run good now.

Previously, it had a cracked head, then Doug replaced it about two years or so ago, then when I got it home over the Winter, after having issues starting it, I discovered the head cracked again. I thought Id try to raise power a bit by getting a head and having it milled, but they took too much off, so now its no good to me, but I also have a good stock one thats on it now.
    There was a ton of crud built up in the threads for the head bolts, which running a tap a couple times took care of. I believe the old head, while being torqued to spec, never sealed properly because of the gunk under the bolts. The valves were out of spec too, but not anymore.
    Ive also got a new coil, Transdenser from Kirk Engines, points and plug to put in still, but that shouldnt take too long.
    Jim B

87 318
    76 300