Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Could a man get by just as good with a integral hitch as a 3 point hitch

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Jake M 
#1 ·
How many implements are there for integral hitch. If I put hydraulic cylinder on integral hitch I feel it be almost as good as 3 point hitch provided I could find the implements for it

#3 ·
Depends what you are wanting to do but I built an integral hitch for my 430 and have gotten along fine. I have a box blade, cultivator (homemade), and converted a Brinley 3 point plow and disk. The integral hitch implements tend to be a bit cheaper to buy and are a little easier to build.

#4 ·
I actually designed and made a very simple lift boom attachment for my integral hitch from a harbor freight hitch 1-1/4 hitch sleeve adapter. It works great and can lift about 300 lbs easily. I also adapted some of my regular hitch attachments to sleeve type and made an adapter to turn it into a regular hitch.

#5 ·
Interesting! Pictures, Pleeeze....

#9 ·
How many implements are there for integral hitch.

There are a few. If you're "googling" for stuff, make sure you follow up any integral hitch searches with "sleeve hitch". Kind of a kleenex vs facial tissue kind of thing.

If I put hydraulic cylinder on integral hitch I feel it be almost as good as 3 point hitch provided I could find the implements for it

I'll say first, I'm currently on the fence right now with the same question. I already have the three point hitch, and I already have the sleeve hitch. I'm gonna pull the trigger by mid/late summer, when my driveway tends to need some attention, but still has time to pack in for winter plowing. Either a box blade, or a grader blade and a ripper tooth (or sub-soiler) and I don't even know that yet. In my case, because I'm equipped, it'll probably be a tool by tool decision, and not a whole system decision. Sleeve hitch stuff is (almost) disposable. There's a new line of cat 0 stuff, impact implements, which appears to be from the same mold as the modern sleeve hitch offerings, built to a price point, lighter than "farm equipment", but somewhat heavier than sleeve hitch stuff. That may be a real good option. The brand has been around a long time, but as of yet this forum doesn't have any experience with it. And then there's what's at the tractor stores, which is either modifiable to cat 0, or it is already modified to cat 0, but it tends to be based on light cat 1 equipment (or "SCUT" depending where you get it), which in my opinion is kind of overkill for a tractor this size. Not a lot of lift, very heavy, might need counterweights, etc. Bullet proof, indestructible, but cumbersome to work with.

I kind of suspect you're right, sleeve hitch equipment is "almost" as good. I saw in another post you were working on a 300. Is that the tractor in question? That would mean you're on about as rugged of a tractor as a sleeve hitch would have been stock equipment for, and they were a lot more common on slightly smaller tractors. That means you could break stuff if you tried. On the other hand, if you pick your jobs based on what the tool is meant for, and don't push (pull?) too hard... You could certainly get a lot of work done. That type of hitch was a defacto standard for (slightly) smaller garden tractors for a LONG time, and it's well proven. The three point cat 0 stuff is tougher, slightly bigger, and in theory a more proper fit to the machine. It is out there used, but, it's virtually obsolete (although there's still some stuff out there), it's hard to find, and it's expensive. Another benefit to the sleeve hitch stuff, depending on your situation, it's lighter so it's a lot easier to move around if you have to for example, drop it in the garage/shed/barn/whatever, and then move it manually to a storage area. Larger stuff can be done that way, but the heavier the implement, well, the heavier the implement... The best answer I feel will come down to your expectations. If your tractor was 250 pounds lighter with two less horsepower, would it still do what you want?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.