Weekend Freedom Machines banner

PTO cable issue

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  teets 
#1 ·
I have been getting my '73 110 back up and running the last year or so. When i bought it i tore it apart as soon as i got it home. I got the engine running and decided to hook the pto cable back up. The pto had been engaged in the "on" position. After hooking everything back up i started the motor and disengaged the pto. (First time in decades its probably been disengaged) a couple sparks from the clutch and SNAP! The cable pulled right through the piece that grips the little weld ball end on the cable. So far ive tried both soldering and using a bead of j.b.weld. both get stripped right off the cable. Anyone have a similiar issues? Should there be that much tension on the cable? Ive been trying to figure out if the double pulley is seized on the drive pulley or something. Im not even sure how these pto's work. When i disengage the pto the arm seems to push in on the pulley if that makes sense. Is it supposed to pull the double pulley away from the drive pulley or press them together? I know there is a clutch lining in there but im not sure if it is seized up or something. Problem is ive never seen any of these in working order to see how they function. My serial number is 286×× if that helps i know there were a couple different pto designs for these. Also any ideas on how to fix the cable end would be awesome.

#2 ·
Daniel, the most likely problem is that the bearing in the PTO is seized. Second most likely is that the friction material is rusted to the driven sheave. Either way, you will need to take the PTO off to fix it.

The arm is supposed to pull the driven sheave away from the engine to disengage the PTO but only a very small distance.

A repair manual would be a really good thing to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.