Fixing up 60

Thread: Fixing up 60

Display Name: Train

Thanks

Fixing up 60

Hello, I'm in the process of fixing up a 1969 JD 60 for our youngest grandchild and I've had to undertake some major changes/fabrications. I seem to be good on working everything out but the belt. I've replaced the worn out Tecumseh with a 5.5 hp Predator motor and that's fine. I've dealt with the engine brake problem on the Predator and that's fine. It starts (pull start) and runs but throws the drive belt. I'm at a loss to know why. I am posting some pics here in the hope that some knowledgeable person might straighten me out on this. Thanks in advance. TrainJD BELT 1.JPGJD BELT 2.JPGJD BELT 3.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: ss313
    Thanks
    I have never worked on a 60 so I may be way off base. Is there an idler or guard missing on the right side looking at the picture? If that engine spins clockwise (looking at it from the pictures perspective) there is too much angle in the belt travel. The belt is hitting the lip of the bottom pulley and being flipped off. If it spins CCW that’s not the case and it may be an imperfection in one of the pulleys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Display Name: Train

Thanks
    Thanks...I'm not sure if it turns clockwise or counterclockwise. There is no belt guard. The only solution I can think of is to try a belt with less tension (in changing engines the normal belt length goes out the window) and see if that helps. I'd like to install a horizontal dead-man pulley somewhere in the neighborhood of the steering gear to put inward pressure on the belt at that point and to "straighten out" the angle off the rear drive sheave but that area is so gommed up with stuff I don't think I could get one in there. Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. Train

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Mitch Daly
    Thanks
    Looks like quite a healthy chain hoist holding up the front of that tractor.
    Mitch Daly

1963, 64, 65, 66, 67 - 110's; 1967 & 1969 112's; 1970 140 h-3; 1973 140 h-3; 1986 330;

Display Name: Doc
    Thanks
    I've had the same experience...fixing up 60 for grandson. I dropped in a Predator 5.5 with no trouble and connected the throttle and choke to the dash via some old cables I had. They work fine, but I have the same problem with the belt throw. The angle from the rear pulley to the front, vertical engine pulley seems to be too excessive so I think I'll unbolt the motor and physicallly move it over a bit to lessen the severity of the angle. I know I won't be able to hook up the mower deck, but at least it will run and he can run it around the yard. I don't know if moving the motor will work or not, but I'm going to try it when the weather breaks.

Display Name: John Johnson
    Thanks
    Also am not familiar with the 60 LTs but looking at JD Parts, there appear to be guides on there somewhere. Depending on serial number, SM PC1007 show two styles.
    SN-20,000
    60-sn-20000-.pdf
    SN 20,000+
    60-sn-20000+.pdf
    John J.

'67 112
    '69 112H-project waiting to happen
    '72 110 - daily worker w/ 39 deck, 43 blade, 37A blower
    '73 140 H3 w/ deck
    bunch of off color GTs also

Display Name: Doc
    Thanks
    Very interesting...I'm not sure, but I don't think mine has those guards. If not, I can fabricate them. They seem simple enough and may solve the problem. Thanks John. Doc

Display Name: Kevin Campbell
    Thanks
    I looked on line, looks like the 6.5hp predator rotates ccw, so I would assume yours does as well. Also seen a manual for a 60 showing the belt is correct, not reversed. The gaurd that I seen in the pictures look to be the ones on the trans side of the belt system. They are there for the clutching, so belts stay where intended. I don't recall having them for engine to jackshaft. Looks like a flat plate mounted to the bottom of the frame with a rod welded to it close to the jackshaft pulley would answer your problems. I would be thinking of a bearing slid on the rod that pushes on the belt should do it. Not the correct fix, but should work. I don't know how tight the belt is, but shorter may result in slippage, angle still be the same.