My new 332 fell off the trailer...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new 332 fell off the trailer...

Display Name: Jenson
    Thanks

My new 332 fell off the trailer...

Sold my 318 with a 44 loader to fund a nice 332. Found a beautiful example a 1990 (serial x0122) with 700 hours on it only 1600 miles away. It made it 1590 miles...

Had it tied down with ratchet straps over the front frame and rear axle. Front tire lost air, front strap came undone tractor backed off the flatbed trailer and the front strap hooked the front mule drive with the front tires still on the trailer and i dragged it down the highway at 35-40 mph for 300 feet. Shoulda coulda; extra strap, parking brake, block the tires, i know... it wont happen again...

OK

Tractor left a trail of AT fluid on the ground as it was towed at a 45 degree angle. lost about a quart. I have since added back to correct operating level.

Hydrostatic transmission does not move in forward or reverse, makes the typical sound when operating normally but no movement. When the towing relief valves are depressed the sound stops and the valves pop back out. Power steering and lift do not work either. I read in another post where this happened and they put it on jack stands and operated the hydro levers for 20 min to bleed the air out. I tried this for 10 min with no effect.

When on jack stands rear tires rotate in opposite directions.

I have the repair manual for a Sundstrand type 15U. Are there different hydrostatic transmission variations?

Next step is to run the hydro for a few more minutes and pray. Then possibly pull the relief valves and see if it is stuck open.

Anything else I should check before i pull the rear end?
    Jenson

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Travis
    Thanks
    I wouldn't run at all until pulled apart so you don't fill your system with metal if it is making it. You need to take the pump and diff apart to make sure it handled the sprint or not. I am guessing not. You may have even twisted an axle

Most rules I am aware of have you tie things down with 4 points. I try to follow but not always possible. Be thankful it is only the rear end which is a common part. Few hundred. More if upgrading to a 2 spd locking diff which may be the reason to do so now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

Display Name: Bob Meyer

Thanks
    WOW, SOOO sorry to hear that. It's a lesson learned, but the VERY hard way.

Read a post, maybe here, maybe GTT, about a guy trailering his 317...came loose, 45mph 300 feet before it stopped. He got it back home, tore the hydro apart, and the drive motor was pretty much destroyed.

If the sound changes and the bypass valves pop back up, your bypass valves are good. I'm thinking your hydro drive motor is going to need some "attention." I can't help you with hydro model numbers or even if your 332 has the 15U, but there should be info plates on the rear end when you pull it out. Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Cliff H
    Thanks
    Typical result of high speed towing is that the hydrostatic transmission grenades. Usually but not always the rear end/differential is okay.

Hydro pump is the same from 316 Onan, 318, 330, 332, 420, 430. New parts if available would be very expensive. A used hydro pump is an option. Getting a used hydro and then using parts from both hydros to build a good one is another option.
    Last edited by cliffh; 08-17-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Display Name: rswojo

Thanks
    I can't believe that anybody thinks those cheap 1" nylon ratchet straps will hold a 1000 pound tractor on a trailer. They are for looks only and to satisfy minimal requirements for securing something to a trailer, on a straight road, without any quick stops, starts or turns.

Mistakes cost money and time as you will soon find out. You are VERY lucky it wasn't worse as in the tractor rolling sideways down the road or into a following/oncoming vehicle. If I had chains and binders I would check them twice in the first 100 miles.

Events/posts like this are totally preventable with a little common sense.

All that said, my latest acquisition, an '84 318 is on its way here being held on the trailer by nylon straps. The trailer has walls and a tailgate and it has been hauled around like that (per the PO) everywhere. Not me. Hope it gets here OK.

Display Name: ss313
    Thanks
    I have to agree that the hydro is toast. If you’ve even thought about having the two speed rear with locking differential now is the time to do it.
    I use ratchet straps but use one on each corner and tie up the ends so that if they do come loose the straps still hold.
    There’s no use dwelling on it. It happened and now you move on. Like it was said above it could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Display Name: Doug Hager
    Thanks
    My tractor gets chained (5/16) on each side in the back and a heavy duty strap on the front. My loader tractor weighs 1600 pounds and has still moved around. And that is an enclosed trailer.

The Highway Patrol will check on trailers to see if the chains used are the correct strength and the come alongs are the correct ones. I learned this from my buddy who has a larger tractor/loader with bush hog he puts on a fifth wheel.
    "Everybody is a genius.
    But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

Display Name: JDF
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rswojo View Post
    I can't believe that anybody thinks those cheap 1" nylon ratchet straps will hold a 1000 pound tractor on a trailer. They are for looks only and to satisfy minimal requirements for securing something to a trailer, on a straight road, without any quick stops, starts or turns.

Mistakes cost money and time as you will soon find out. You are VERY lucky it wasn't worse as in the tractor rolling sideways down the road or into a following/oncoming vehicle. If I had chains and binders I would check them twice in the first 100 miles.

Events/posts like this are totally preventable with a little common sense.

All that said, my latest acquisition, an '84 318 is on its way here being held on the trailer by nylon straps. The trailer has walls and a tailgate and it has been hauled around like that (per the PO) everywhere. Not me. Hope it gets here OK.

Cool, Kick the guy while he's already down and feeling like shit.... I am sure he's learned a good lesson....

. Thats a beautiful 332, I hope you repost after you fix it and let us know what is wrong..

JDF/SWAMPFOX/JERRY

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JDF/ SwampFox For This Useful Post:

dhager4692 (08-18-2018),jd195350 (08-18-2018),lotsofspareparts (08-19-2018),mike (08-18-2018),MiniHomesteader (08-19-2018),Yooper (08-18-2018)

Display Name: brad coomer

Thanks
    my brother did the same thing to a 400 3 years ago. i took the pump out of a 317 and i am still using the tractor to mow my yard.

Display Name: Chuck Van Dusen
    Thanks
    Jenson,

Really sorry to hear about your damaged tractor. Yes the inside of that transmission is going to be hamburger (actually Deere-burger...) and you will need a complete replacement. You should also check for cracks and other damage in the frame around the rear end and axles and in the axles themselves.

A good 332 is well worth repairing so just take a deep breath and go forward... I agree with going for the 2 speed axle if you can find the parts.

Chuck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chuckv For This Useful Post:

jd195350 (08-18-2018)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast