My little burns
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My little burns

Display Name: Sam Myers
    Thanks

My little burns

This is my 1965-ish burns tractor. I spotted it a while ago and was just dying to pick it up. Finally gathered the courage about 3 months ago to ask my nieghbour about it, and he said to just come pick it up. Took our Yamaha grizzly down, used the Kodiak to yank it out of its grave, and dragged it onto the trailer. Got it home, threw out the wisonsin (no spark, no fuel, no compression) and the neighbour paid a visit. Asked him some things about it and figured out it's been sitting since around 2001, 17 years! Amazingly, the only seized things were the jackshaft and the cables. Pulled out the jackshaft, removed the chains, got the belt off. I've been wanting to do something with it but sadly no one in my area knows what the word "cheap" means. Either the engine is sold and they don't delete the ad, or they have an outrageous price on it.
    My brother sold one of his cubs, and the guy who bought it has an 8 horse for me. Forgot to ask if it runs, but it does have the starter gen setup (no starter gen, though) he just wants to trade it for a set of fenders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1982 John deere 317, powered by Kohler Magnum 18
    1969 John deere 140 "One eyed Larry", powered by K241, H2 hydraulics
    1963 Burns B-60, Serial 1328

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mudrig150 For This Useful Post:

ed_lincoln (01-12-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Display Name: Doug Hager
    Thanks
    This will be interesting especially with the age of the tractor. Keep the pictures coming as you make inprovements. I know it's not green but it is part of our history.
    "Everybody is a genius.
    But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some more info on Burns tractors. They were from 6 to 10 horsepower:

Burns Manufacturing built garden tractors in Louisville, Georgia in the early 1960s. Founded by Sam Burns as Burns Tool Corporation, Burns was sold to Draper in 1960. Draper owned Blue Jet and Penfield, and a line of Burns and Penfield Suburban tractors was built. Burns was sold off in 1964 with the tractor and tiller line being purchased by Gilson.
    "Everybody is a genius.
    But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

6. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Wish I knew the exact year, but some jerk repainted the tractor and sanded the serial tag off. Only the numbers, though, the manufacturer is fine and barely scratched.

Display Name: Edward H. Lincoln

Thanks
    I like the maverick brands also.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could you see any information on the engine you took out? You might be able to match horsepower with a model or narrow it down to just a couple of midels.
    "Everybody is a genius.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Nope, the entire serial tag was blank. I have no idea the horsepower.

Thanks
    So still haven't got in any progress on the 317 (haven't even picked it up yet) but I did get in some work on the burns.
    Got a single fender off. That took an entire day of wrestiling on its own. Tried to have my pap torch the transmission bolts off but ended up basically welding the transmission to the brackets, so I'll just have to cut the transmission out. Figured out that the 3 speed is completely shot with 2nd and 3rd having destroyed gears. It's hard to get into 3rd and almost impossible to get into 2nd. 1st and reverse have lost the detent ball entirely, and the case was full of brown-diarrhea looking oil and at least half a gallon of water. So yeah, it's junk.
    I did, however, get my motor. It's a Kohler k161, it has everything except the generator, muffler, coil, and spark plug. The guy said that it ran well before it was removed. It was, quite obviously, repainted to blue for god knows what reason. I just need to get a pulley for it and get the parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    So an update on the b-60, I got a battery box fabbed up so the battery won't be on the frame. Made everything myself. Decided that for now I'm just gonna roll with the transmission that's in the tractor. I'm just gonna put a hose on a funnel, tip the tractor up, and pour the gear oil through the front drain plug. Cut the clutch basket off the motor and got a starter generator. Have pretty much everything except for a key switch and fuel tank mounts.

Thanks
    So another update is required on the burns. The kohler is out and the briggs 8 hp I found is in the frame. Need to put in a starter gen and bolt it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast