Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Collectibility

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tomlepage 
#1 ·
I have been out of the loop for a while, divorced and had to restart my life. I used to be into the square-fendered, gear drive machines, but had to liquidate them. I recently acquired a 1968 112H with all brass-tag implements. I noticed 10-12 years ago, old garden tractors were pretty collectible and prices reflected that. Are people still into them or has interest waned?

#2 ·
Early John Deere garden tractors still have a following. Is it more or less than time frame you were "out of the loop" is tough to say. Gen Xer's and millennial's need instantaneous gratification without effort on their part. For that reason you would think following would be diminishing however there are many of these people who have inherited Dads or Grandpas tractor and want to restore it in honor of a relative so the following is still there.

Yes, that is a pretty wishy-washy response but it is the truth.

The biggest threat to these vintage machines is the scrappers who buy them only to scrap them out and think the parts are made of gold and set their asking prices as such. I don't remember where I saw it but someone wanted $500 set of front and rear wheels for a 110 round fender. I have a running 110 round fender with mower deck and tiller I will sell you for $800.

Gabby

#3 ·
I do think prices have come down on some models, but have remain stable on others. The 200 series are still the best value for the buck, in my opinion, but prices on 318s are coming down, as well as the other older 300 series. But the round fenders and the 120/140 prices, I believe, are still holding their own.

#4 ·
I feel like the 318 prices are still a bit ridiculous seeing as how they’re Onan engines. I like the 316s personally.
I acquired a 1968 112 with mower, plow, grader blade, sleeve hitch, tiller and thrower on the cheap. It’s all in very good shape with original paint and all of the paperwork, manuals, brochures, etc. the downside is that it has the HH-100. The motor is a replacement from 1990 and turns freely, but won’t start. I’m hoping a solenoid and carburetor rebuild will fix it. I wish it were a Kohler, but beggars can’t be choosers. That said, I’m in the market for decent 110-112s within a reasonable distance from Southern Maine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.