Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Looking to do a repower on my 140 H3...

11K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  gabby_in_wis 
#1 ·
I am looking into doing a repower on my 140 H3. There are many choices from what I am seeing. So help me folks, who has done one and what engine should I go with? Pics would be nice also. Thanks.

#3 ·
I repowered one of my 140 with a Kohler K 341 (16 hp) out of a JD216. I rebuilt the engine with "I Save Tractor" parts and NAPA did the machine work. Less than $400 invested (including what I paid for the engine) and it was a bolt in swap.

There are two places I know of that has repower kits.

Jim's Tractor
He has some info on his kits

http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/john-deere-garden-tractor.htm

Small Engine Warehouse

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment/John-Deere-140-Category/

If you know a machinist that would make the parts for you, then just buy a new engine and have the parts made.

I've been thinking about buying a 22 hp HF Predator engine for a 314 swap. I've had very good luck with 3 that HF Predator engines I have. I had one for 5 or 6 years now on a go kart with no governor. If you go with a Predator, you'll need to get a Honda stator and change it out. The Predator only had a 3 or 5 amp stator and will not charge enough to keep up with the PTO.

#4 ·
The kohler engine is hard to beat

I would rebuild current one or get a K341

Mine have survived 50 years of abuse.

Reactions: low96hb
#5 ·
I agree 100%. And it will still retain it's resale value. There is a Honda repowered 317 for $350 on Springfield Mo C/L that has been there for over 2 months. I just don't think some people like to buy something like a garden tractor that has been changed because if they have problems, who do they turn to for info on the swap.

#7 ·
The Kohler 16 hp K341 is a beast. It's like 15% more power than the K321, and I can tell the difference. And in today's HP comparisons, I guessing that it would be around 20Hp. The guy that lives a couple houses down the road has a 24hp briggs powered Husqvarna that was down for a month last year. I let him use my 16 hp 140 and after using it, he said that it felt like it had almost as much power that his big V twin Briggs.

#9 ·
I bought a junk 216 for $200, and took the engine off and sold the rest for $130. I wouldn't pay more than $150 for one that will need rebuilt. If you can find one that is good shape (uses no oil and no funny sounds from it), I would go as high as $400.

You might find a good running 216, 316 K, or 300 and pull the engine and part out or sell the rest. If your 140 is a late one, the Hydro parts will interchange with 316 and 300. I know that 1650 cub cadet engine will fit too.

#10 ·
I retro-fitted one of my 140-H3's maybe five years ago now with a Vanguard 16hp twin I'm very happy with the results! Its quieter, runs smoother, more power and fuel efficient too! No modifications to the tractor are required as I recall. I used an driveshaft/hub adapter, wiring harness and muffler provided by Small Engine Warehouse.

Michael

#11 ·
#12 ·
I would try to go Kohler K series. If you want to go more modern I would go briggs Vanguard. I have a buddy that repowered his 318 with a 16HP vanguard and says he can't tell the difference. I think Kohlers(K series/Magnum) were better than briggs. I think biggs vanguard is better than Kohler Command. Just my opinion. I am getting close to tackling an H3 project myself.

#13 · (Edited)
I am now looking into repower engines for 140 H3 to replace an old and tired K341. I am in process of buying the tractor so kind of early to tell if original engine is rebuild-able but I would like to try a twin cylinder Vanguard. Looking at repower from Smallenginewarehouse it looks like the air cleaner is cut in half leaving the air filter exposed to get clearance for fuel tank. Is this true? Looks like a butcher job to me. Extremely undesirable to me. Wouldn't it be better to relocate fuel tank under fender deck?

Is there a Honda kit available from someone?

Absolutely no Predator engines for me!

#15 ·
nkaust, The quick answer is maybe! It ALL depends on the idle speed. I think there's a big difference in what most people think "idle" should sound like and what Kohler spec's out. 2000-2200 rpm is the Kohler spec for the K321 and 2100 for the K341. At this rpm, it just "sounds" too fast, but that's the spec.

Not sure what my idle was on my 314, but it "sounded" right...except for the hood, pedestal and everything else clanking and vibrating around! I brought the idle up to around 2000 rpm and everything smoothed right out! It's amazing what you can learn by reading a manual! Bob

#16 ·
I am now looking into repower engines for 140 H3 to replace an old and tired K341. I am in process of buying the tractor so kind of early to tell if original engine is rebuild-able but I would like to try a twin cylinder Vanguard. Looking at repower from Smallenginewarehouse it looks like the air cleaner is cut in half leaving the air filter exposed to get clearance for fuel tank. Is this true? Looks like a butcher job to me. Extremely undesirable to me. Wouldn't it be better to relocate fuel tank under fender deck?
Gabby, I seem to remember a re-power thread years ago where an offset air cleaner adapter was made so the Briggs air cleaner didn't have to be cut to clear the gas tank. I've also had the thought that maybe a thinner battery could be used so the gas tank could be situated further back to enable air cleaner clearance.

Steve

#17 ·
The other option (I have not researched yet) is an under fender deck fuel tank. I would really like to go the Vanguard route but will not run around with an exposed air filter. I can't believe that is offered as a solution to make it fit. Was the relocated air cleaner article on WFM?

#19 ·
Drew, buying a load of Deere machines from a member in western Michigan. He says the engine in the 140 ran when parked but extremely tired so it should be rebuildable. I was just looking at building up a real work horse with twin cylinders. You are correct I probably need to stick to the Kohler engine. I was really disappointed when I saw what supplier was doing to the air cleaner on the Vanguard to make it fit. Will post photos of future projects when I get them home. Happy Thanksgiving Drew.

#21 ·
#22 · (Edited)
To install a Briggs Vanguard in my 140, I cut and removed a section from the gas tank support. Moved the gas tank back just far enough for adequate air cleaner clearance.

No air cleaner housing modifications were required.

I run a standard sized garden tractor battery and it starts the Briggs Vanguard just fine.

I have pictures somewhere but can’t find them easily. I believe the section I cut out was 2” but can’t remember for sure.

#23 ·
Nice article. Looks like member wanting me to haul back 300 and loader could not come up with the Greenbacks. So will have room on the trailer for ?

#24 ·
Me and K341's don't play well together. Not a slam! There are really good ones out there and I've only had one but it was a super shaker. It was in a 1650 Cub Cadet. The 'Quiet Line' term used in that era of IH Cub Cadets did not match reality. The tractor rattled like crazy and various nuts and bolts loosened off unless they were dbl nutted or I used locktite. Even with the new 'ISO' engine mounts I put on it. Was pretty hard to turn over in the winter too unless it was preheated for a while. I used to cover the engine with a small tarp and put an electric heater under it to warm it up, then jump it with a car battery. The puny stock sized battery in it was pretty silly for a 341 cc one lung engine with a big piston like that. Inadequate even in the summer. If it didn't start first try I had to go get my cables.

Practicality is more important to me than correctness if it's a worker so I'd likely go with a VG or Honda twin. The 341 cleaned up real nice though.
Camera Cameras & optics Vehicle Car

#25 ·
Just ordered the repower 18 Vanguard from SEW. Should be here by the end of the week. In the mean time I need to take out this Kohler. Anyone have a link to a thread breaking this down step by step? I’ve pulled many car engines, but never this 140. .....still trying to figure out this search tool, it just. Ones up with to many or none at all when I type “140 removal/pull/swap” ect. Thanks, not trying to hyjack

#27 ·
Jeff, I was looking at the Vanguard repower but realized SEW cuts off rear part of air cleaner housing to clear the fuel tank. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't this expose the filter. To me this causes possibility reduced life of filter plus possibility of damage. I will be bringing tractor home this weekend so will see if current engine is rebuildable ... Gabby

#28 ·
There are a couple threads on here about problems with the SEW conversions, might be worth some research.

I love the K341 in my 300, that was the whole reason i bought that one. After repeated problems from the 90's kohler command in my previous rider. It reminds me of a Harley or an old 2 lung JD. its got a great character and you just about can't stall the thing, specs say 25 ft lbs of torque so its probably on par with a 20+ hp twin at the 3000 rpm where its usually working but the torque comes on like a fire hose when you lug it down.

Eventually i plan on doing a mild performance rebuild on it just to give it a little more stink but for now it does everything i ask of it, starts great down to 10 degrees (so far, haven't tried it any colder) and just generally makes nice pleasing vibrations, sounds and smells. I think if you appreciate the vintage machinery for what it is, you cant do better than a nice vintage thumpy engine. It would be nice to balance the rotating assembly, but, as others have said it smooths out at high rpm, i turned up the governor so the max RPM is a bit higher and it jams along really nice. I also really just enjoy working on old engines like that, simple, easy to get parts for... even if you did a performance rebuild to ~20 hp 'mod stock' specs you could probably do the whole project for less than 1/3 the cost of a repower and keep the character of the tractor.

just my 2 cents.

#29 ·
Appreciate the responses. I do like the idea of keeping things OEM but this is time sensitive, not a project. I do have another 140 with a completely seized engine I may restore to specs later, but this repower is for work now. VG motor arrived yesterday and is sitting in the frame with elongated rear bolt holes. Looks good. Just need to figure out the flywheel to shaft connections.

Attachments

#30 ·
Jeff, just got home from Michigan. I ended up not taking the 140. I have another 140 that engine should be rebuildable so my plans on a 140 repower for now are not going to occur.

Brought home a running 318 w/B series engine and non-running 420. I need to do some research on the 420. Rick said it ran on one cylinder so until I pull the heads off not sure what is needed.

Thanks for sharing photos and info ... Gabby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.