Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1/2 n

6K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  sublime68charger 
#1 · (Edited)
Dad and I used to go to the Portland IN Tri-State engine and tractor show. One year I was wandering through the swap meet section and happened on Awesome Henry's fibreglass hoods. $200 later I had the starting point for my 1/2N.

I used a 1963 Cub Cadet Original as the donor.
Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle Agricultural machinery Machine

It was kinda sad sacrificing an original Original but it was for a good cause.
Tractor Motor vehicle Vehicle Agricultural machinery Car

I cut down a full size 8N dash to fit the hood. I also cut down the Original battery box and dash pedestal. I bought a pair of suitable tires from Miller at the Portland show. Very nice people to deal with.
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Tire

I used a Honda gas tank and this little bracket I fabricated to mount it at the front is the weirdest part I ever made. And I've done some wacky ones.
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Tire Fender

Took a lot of time to do everything. Lots of small parts to prep and paint.
Machine

Back on it's wheels again. I stripped the Honda tank and clear coated it. Got the front tires/wheels at a swap meet.
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Wheel

I put it to work one day mowing grass just so I could say it's not a trailer queen. I'm gonna put a mower deck off a Model 71 Cub Cadet on it so it matches the full sized 8N with the Woods belly deck.
Land vehicle Vehicle Lawn Tractor Car

Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Car

This is how it sits now. Dad did the rear fenders and made up a pair of wheels for the 15" rear tires. I still have to prep and shoot the hood and put a suitable pair of headlights on it.
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Lawn Agricultural machinery

I'm not happy with the rear fenders. They're off an IH Cub and are too big. But I haven't found any that look better (yet!)
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Car Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
As always, SUPERB WORK! Thanks for sharing. :good:

#6 ·
Army,

That looks very good!! You might find that mounting those fenders a bit higher to allow their center of curvature to be more centered/aligned with the axle and center of tire circumference will provide a better look -- just a thought...

Chuck

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm trying to make up for what I've done with torches and BFH's over the years.

I tried different heights Chuck. I even did Photoshop mock ups. There's no position that looks right to me. This is the angle that bugs me the most. They're not 8N looking to me. I'm looking for shorter (front to back) fenders that are round vs oval shaped.
Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle

#10 ·
Will keep a look out, you never know what will come across. :thumb:

#12 ·
I'm gonna use the deck from this little model 71 Cub Cadet on my 1/2 N and paint it like a Woods belly deck. It was my grandfather's. I mowed his grass with it when I was a kid. He eventually replaced it with a JD 140. My uncle ended up with that tractor but Dad inherited the little 71 back in the mid 70's and promised I'd be the next owner. Can't decide whether to restore it to like-new original or keep it the way it was when grandpa used it last. Either way I have to do a ring job on the 7 HP Kohler. Smokes quite a bit. Dad said the piston and cylinder are fine. Just need a light honing.
Vehicle Tractor Machine Automotive tire Auto part

Dad started his mechanical career rebuilding engines at Spurgeons in Chatham, Ontario. He did overhauls on a lot of different engines working that job and for 60+ years after that too so I always trusted his opinion on such things. Grandpa said he came home from work one day to find dad had dissembled his Model A engine. Dad was 15 at the time. He told grandpa not to worry because the engine would run a lot better afterward. Grandpa said it did too. Grandpa had 5 boys but the other 4 weren't allowed to touch anything mechanical that wasn't working right. Grandpa and grandma and his siblings called dad Billy his whole life. They never switched to Bill after he grew up. He would call dad and then tell them "leave it alone till Billy gets here".

#13 · (Edited)
very nice work,

My family has a 1954 Golden Jubilee that my grandpa bought new!

I wanna say the rear fenders are from a ford 5000 when we did mild restore on it back in the early 90's,

original fenders where pretty beat up and flimsy.

pic of me and the old buzz saw cart heading out for a day of wood cutting!

Attachments

#15 ·
there's a loader that we have for it. Was Grandpa's chore tractor and he quite farming in 1984. the loader came off back in 1985 or so I think, still have the loader and all the parts in the back of a shed some where.

Never took off the bottom subframe and since we use it for pulling logs around in a wood's it gives a little but a stump protection to the bottom of the tractor, or that's what my day said when I asked about it back in the 90's

#18 ·
yes it could my dad used it for a few years for snow removal for a few years in 2010-2012 then he got a Boomer TC 45 I think tractor with cab/heat/radio and loader hydro drive which took over snow removal.

then he got a kubota 900 with cab heat and snow dogg V-plow which is nice as well.

the Jubliee is the emergency back up with a rear blade if needed.

I have some honda ATVs that I use for snow removal.

but maybe some day I put a front blade on the old Ford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.