Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Tire loading

6K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Soupkid 
#1 ·
I've read about people loading tires.
My question is with what ??
I live in the great white north where winters are cold and long.
I have wheel weights and a weight box but would like a little more weight when using the loader.

#3 ·
When I need counterweight I use windshield washer fluid. Don't be cheap. Buy a -15ºF brand. I currently do no use tractor to clear snow so cold temps and fluid freezing not an issue with me. Unbelievable the hills my X485 will climb to mow at my rural property ... Gabby

#8 ·
Do a internet search and you will find lots of videos , there are several ways to do it . On my 330 and 332 I pulled the valve stem core and filled via the stem . Find some tubing I used clear vinyl that fits snugly over the threaded portion of the valve stem . Make a small hole in the tubing near the valve stem and insert a " straw " from an aerosol can like WD40 or similar , this straw lets the system " burp " as you are filling . The hose or tubing needs to be aprox. 4 ' long or so . I used several bungee cords and strapped the funnel to a ladder . With the wheel/tire laying flat on the floor start pouring . It is a slow process but not too bad , I was able to get 7 or so gallons of windshield washer fluid into each tire .

#7 ·
With valve stem in 12:00 position fluid should be just below the valve stem so you can check tire pressure.

#9 ·
I saw a video on youtube I think that the guy used the weight of the tractor to do the work. He removed the valve from the valve stem and attached some tubing and a funnel. Then he used a floor jack to raise and lower the tractor. Each time he lowered it the tire would flatten and push air out. Then he would add the fluid to the funnel and raise it with the jack, causing the fluid to be pulled into the tire. after four or five times doing this he had all the fluid in the tire. Seemed like it saved a lot of time.

#10 ·
I use used coolant/antifreeze. I get it free from work. You could probably get it pretty cheap or free from a local garage.

#12 ·
Roger, that is true with most fluids. WWF included...although probably less tempting for a dog.

#13 ·
I used wintertime rated windshield washer fluid as previously stated by some others. Tires are 26-12-12 size and took between 8-9 gallons per side if I remember correctly. I used a method I found on YouTube using an old handheld sprayer tank that I drilled and threaded a fitting that would allow me to hook up to my small compressor.. ran the compressor at a regulated psi so it would not be too much for the tank to rupture (25 psi or thereabouts). Removed the valve stems core and then just pushed the sprayer tanks hose over the valve stem (fit perfectly) Put about 3 gallons of fluid in sprayer turned on compressor and it just pumps it right in.

Attachments

#16 ·
I would have went with rim guard over washer fluid personally if it was more available in my area. It was also more expensive at that time. Something to look into.. I think the rim guard (beet juice) was actually 3-4 lbs heavier per gallon than the washer fluid so that is something to consider as well.. not sure about weight of rv antifreeze

#18 ·
we do this at work. I am in the agricultural field. Good windshield wash fluid will protect to 15 or 20 below(DO NOT DILUTE IT), if the units will be protected out of wind thats plenty in our sprayers as they dont get used in the winter. as for tires.... I HIGHLY recommend RV antifreeze good for 50 below (pink) about $4 or $5 more per gallon, especially if you gonna use it in the winter. as for the process... put stem at 12:00 block or jack axle up so it wont be flat on the bottom and possibly break the bead. fill full, replace stem, air to recommended pressure. Done. Now if u gonna use chains, put them on BEFORE you air up to pressure (helps tighten the chains) with that said..... most these little tractors have the valve stem to the inside, so I do it on the bench or floor with stem up as it can be a pain to reach around and put valve stem in while on tractor, and messier too. (to each their own) both work. CAUTION if tires are loaded use a pressure gauge suitable for LIQUID, not all are. regular gauge will read inaccurate, and get ruined. JMHO. Mark

#19 ·
About 5 years ago, I had my 8.5 wide rims filled with Rim Guard. Several dealers carry this in my area (suburban N Detroit).

I use my 120 to throw snow or grade it with the mid-blade. I haven't had any issues with freezing that I know of. I haven't had any leakage. As a matter of fact, I haven't needed to add any air to my tires at all since I filled my tires with Rim Guard.

When my wife brought the tires home, one of the tires weighed less than the other. The dealer gave us a gallon of Rim Guard to make up the difference.

I used one of those orange plastic automotive lube fill transfer pumps to fill the rim. They come with a tire valve adapter. Occasionally, while pumping the Rim Guard, you need to release the trapped air.

#20 ·
Up here our WW fluid is rated for -40. I would like to do this also but have never been able to find the hook-up hardware anywhere(the part that goes on the valve stem)

#22 ·
the ones I've heard/read about let air out as it fills with fluid, some kinda bypass

#24 ·
I had one of those. Took about five minutes to get frustrated and do it the "hard" way. Doing it the "hard" way for about five minutes, and I had a tire full......

I've done it with a garden sprayer, and I've done it with a hose to a bucket, crushing the tire and lifting it back up. (jack under the tractor). Either way, valve stem up, pump in in with the sprayer until it won't take more, vent the pressure, do that over and over until the "venting" puts flluid back into the sprayer, or with just a hose to a bucket (or jug), floor jack under the tractor, crush the tire down and let it "push" air out in to the jug (oooh look, bubbles....), then jack it back up and let it "pull" more fluid in, repeat until it won't take any more.

The tire loading fitting can be had on Amazon, but works best with good head pressure. Gravity works with them, but it's sloooooooowwwwww. Ten bucks oughtta get one, Amazon had tons of them, but you don't really find them locally, at least not around here. but then you need (well..... want) some sorta pump, and a short garden hose. Gravity feed can work if you're creative with that sort of stuff, but pack a lunch. And maybe dinner.

You can get a garden sprayer locally for about fifteen bucks, I've found a few fluid transfer uses for that bit of leftover. There's no nozzle (I cut it off obviously), but I have used it a couple of times, water, coolant refill on my pickup, and I'm sure a couple of other things but I can't think of any.... Not sure what I'd have ever done with the loading valve if I'd kept it... The hose/bucket/jack method takes a little extra effort, but has a remarkably low barrier to entry.

Here's just one example (there are many), take a look at the "frequently bought with" links too.
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-466-Tire-Valve-Adapter/dp/B000J1SQXI

#23 ·
Yes they do let air out and they do make a special fitting.. for what it’s worth I’ve only done this procedure one time but it didn’t have the fitting and had no issues. Up above I wrote about how I did mine using a sprayer tank and air compressor.. with that method the tank only held 3 gallons at a time so when the tank was empty I had to open it to refill and go again.. while the tank is open and being filled the excess air pressure inside the tire is bleeding out at the same time. I didn’t have any problem doing it that way however I did notice that the last gallon or so I put into the tire was slower to pump in, I’m guessing due to air pressure on the tire but it still went in fine

#25 · (Edited)
I had to vent the air because my wheels were almost full of Rim Guard. The air pressure gets high really fast.

My tires almost completely full. Air pressure is inconsequential. There really is no difference between 5 PSI and 30 PSI.

When I bought new Carlisle TruPower tires, 15 years ago, I installed them with tubes. The Rim Guard filled the tubes.

I used a pump like this, because I already had a couple.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...performance-tool-transfer-pump/w1145/4613602?

#28 ·
You can but I do not. I like the safety of an inner tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.