JD 325 Sputters Intermittently Under Load.....Help!!!

Thread: JD 325 Sputters Intermittently Under Load.....Help!!!

Display Name: Calothrix

Thanks

JD 325 Sputters Intermittently Under Load.....Help!!!

I have a JD 325 with a 18 hp v-twin engine. Tractor runs great when mower is not engaged. Sometimes when I engage the mower, it will run fine for a few minutes and then all of a sudden it will start losing power/run rough and I will have to slow to a crawl to prevent killing the engine. Sometimes it will run poorly for several minutes, then run fine for a while, and then start running poorly again. Often when it is running poorly, the smell of the exhaust is more prominent. Again, engine always runs great when mower is not engaged. I have not been able to determine what environmental conditions are causing the problem.....it's very unpredictable. Any help with what is going on here would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Roger Henning

Thanks
    Either the charging system is not working correct and producing enough to run the PTO or you have a dirty carburetor. I suspect the first. Electrical system diagnosis should answer the question. With engine running the battery should read 14+ volts with the PTO both on and off. Roger

Display Name: TimS

Thanks
    Does the amount of fuel in the tank make a difference? With the totally random timing I am thinking of a fuel pickup issue - occasionally can't deliver enough fuel to run the motor under the load of the mower deck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Bob Meyer

Thanks
    Cal, Remove deck drive belt from pto. Turn deck pulley and listen for nay noises and feel for any roughness. Next, with belt still removed, start tractor, engage pto and drive around. If symptoms persist, disconnect pto wire and ohm pto coil. Around 3.7-4 ohms is good coil, if 3.5 or less, coil is probably your problem.

Bad pto coil kinda goes along with Rogers' comment, 'charging system not producing enough to run pto.'

As a quick side note, the 'smell of the exhaust is more prominent' would not be uncommon or wrong. When engine rpm slows down, the governor will open carb to supply more fuel. The exhaust you're smelling is the rich fuel mixture... kinda like running on 1/4-1/3 choke!
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

Display Name: Jbo_c

Thanks
    Sounds to me like it could be running on only one cylinder.

Jbo