First Upgrades on the 455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Upgrades on the 455

Display Name: nicabod

Thanks

First Upgrades on the 455

Well this whole thing with using a snowblower with the 455 we bought this summer has been a pain so far.

Put in a lower radiator hose heater last weekend while it was nice out, that was pain fitting in - but way cheaper than the engine block heater and bracket deere sells. She started up just fine last night when it was single digits without plugging it in so I guess it's just to cut down on wear from frigid cold starts now. Also changed the fuel filter, air filters and changed the coolant out while I was monkeying around. I'm gonna change out the hytran fluid/filter and oil change in the spring.

Other night went to put tire chains on and of coarse right away that isn't gonna work with the AWS. So I find that deere has a spacer kit to sell (of coarse) instead of just building it from the factory that way...

Since I got the rims off I said piss on it I'm getting rid of the turf tires. Picked up the fluid filled new wheels tonight, so she's weighted down pretty good now between two big suitcase weights and the tires.

Waiting to pickup the spacer kit and pto from dealer this saturday so I can finally use the blower. Dealer lost 1/2 of the implement shaft as they confirmed by pictures finally after multiple calls from me as it bounced between a couple lots. I didn't realize it was missing myself til I went to hook it up the other night.

Big upgrade for me coming from a 110 with the 36" snow blower.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: RussK
    Thanks
    You will love it when the big storms hit!! Hope you have great snow blowing outfit because you'll not want to get off the tractor

Display Name: Jay Smith

Thanks
    In my opinion the AWS feature is a PITA (pardon my French). It is easy to replace the moveable rear axle housings with fixed ones, usually available on auction sites. In the summertime, the non-AWS geometry still gives a pretty tight turning radius. With AWS and rear spacers, doesn't the width of the tractor exceed that of the snowblower?
    1998 425 w/ 3 pt, pto, 54" deck, MC 519 and Powerflo. My grasscutter and leaf picker-upper in the fall.
    1985 318 - sold !
    1971 140 w/ 46" deck - sold !
    A Farmall Cub, just for fun (way underpowered for most chores)
    Kubota 2670 diesel for heavy duty chores
    Last but not least - a lovely 1996 Buick Roadmaster cream puff with ~ 96K miles and no rust or rot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Andy

Thanks
    According to the opp manual, with the 23" tires without spacers the width is 45" With the spacers is 47" Now in the 2WS version with 26" tires, the width was 49" As for turning radius, the 2 wheel steer has a 26" radius. The AWS is 21" Not really that much different. Where the AWS shines is in mowing. With a 60" deck on the 2WS, the uncut radius is 24.5" compared to 6.5" with the AWS.
    1993 425AWS w/ 54" deck, Quick Hitch, 1993 46 Snowthrower
    2010 Tiger TG3061 Zero Turn

Display Name: Loren Holm

Thanks
    Would you please post the bundle part number for the drive shaft.

Local dealer is very confused as to what to order.

Display Name: Randy VB

Thanks
    425, 445 and 455 Lawn and Garden Tractors) ST553935 - Front PTO Kit Kit
    Part Number BM17330
    Description
    POWER-TAKEOFF, KIT, FRONT PTO (400'

Remarks
    Front PTO - Long shaft from diff to front of tractor

Display Name: Andy

Thanks
    The shaft from the tractor to the blower depends on serial number of the blower. If your serial starts with M01471X it uses shaft AM124743. If the serial starts with M047SBX it uses shaft AM132904. The difference is that the first number is a splined shaft and the second shaft is square.
    1993 425AWS w/ 54" deck, Quick Hitch, 1993 46 Snowthrower
    2010 Tiger TG3061 Zero Turn

Display Name: Nkaust

Thanks
    congrats man, i am looking forward to using my upgrade as well this year. repowered 25hp 345 with single stage. i just finally got a chance to change the hydro fluid and install the lift. next step is getting the blower on and getting everything adjusted. i don't know what your terrain is like but a stripe of #50 roller chain on the center of that front tire might make be a big help for your steering

Thanks
    Jay,

I LOVE the AWS. You won't convince me to change it out. I did notice a thread the other week someone just cut a plate that bolted to the hitch and they just took the tie rods out when they didn't want aws.

Thanks
    The part number for the implement shaft for 47 Quick Hitch snow blower for 4-5 series is BM20871 (It's cheaper buying the kit verses just buying the shaft alone dealer told me - comes with upstop bracket and some hardware and manuals) I can attest to the square version shaft fitting the snow blower fine as the half of shaft on the unit originally was the splined version. The splined version is to long from all I've been told, I was just gonna cut it down for it to work - but dealer made a deal with me on the correct shaft kit since they couldn't find the other half.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast