Idle problems 98 445

Thread: Idle problems 98 445

Display Name: Bueller02

Thanks

Idle problems 98 445

Been wanting a 4x5 forever. Finally snagged one for $900 w/ a 60” deck and all the factory manuals, a set of gator blades, and a pint of homemade peach moonshine (lol) Anywho...

Slow idles great. Once it gets to 1900 RPM it starts running rough. I cannot set the idle up any higher than 2400 RPM’s. Things I’ve done so far:
    -complete service; fluids, filters, drained gas and filled with ethanol free 91
    -set governor
    -adjusted valves and replaced rocker covers with aluminum ones
    -checked fuel pump hose inside of tank
    -took a compression test 125 cylinder 1, 90 in the other..added oil and it came up to 120. Needs rings, at least, I know...

Some observations:
    Doesn’t smoke, doesn’t backfire. I had it running for quite some time today. Idled fine, but then it started fast idling (2400 rpm) on its own without throttle input. I can manually push the throttle shaft back to idle position, and it’ll stay there for maybe a minute, and it decides to open up again. There seems to be some significant slop in the throttle shaft bore on the throttle body, So I’m kind of thinking that’s contributing to my issues.
    Also, I attempted to get the specified 3500ish rpm out of it by moving the throttle plate, but it won’t increase any.

Anybody seen this behavior before? I’ve gotta test the sensors tomorrow and try a few other things still, just thought I would reach out...

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: RussK
    Thanks
    EFI system may need to be checked (sensors, injector, Pressure regulator on it)

Thanks
    Yea, ran out of time today before work to go through it...did check the fuel pressure regulator though..it held a vacuum.

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    You could try o-rings on the throttle body shaft to seal it better.

Thanks
    I was thinking felt, but o-rings is a better idea 🤔 just bought a couple of o-ring kits from HF a couple weeks ago

Thanks
    I found felt to fall apart to easy, so that's why I like o-rings.

Thanks
    Update:
    Kind of suspected the governor to be the culprit, and sure enough, it blew apart. 4-5 teeth missing, 1 weight barely hanging on, the other in the scrap cavity (as I like to call it). Kudos to Kawasaki for the oil pickup design...there was no damage to anything aside from a little bit to the case where the weight flopped around, and the oil pump gear ‘looks’ like it has a crack in it, so it’s getting changed out. The pump looks new..no scarring or anything like I’ve seen in other engines. Cleaning everything up while waiting on parts. Should be back together soon!
    Last edited by bueller02; 11-26-2019 at 04:11 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bueller02 For This Useful Post:

tommyhawk (11-27-2019)