420 Starter, Flywheel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 420 Starter, Flywheel

Display Name: [email protected]

Thanks

420 Starter, Flywheel

Just bought a nice 420 from a guy that he told me up front has starter, flywheel problems. After pulling the engine it appears as though the starter did not engage all the way onto the flywheel, thus the ring gear is ruined and the teeth on the starter look bad also. When removing the two long bolts from the starter it looked like the starter wasn't lined up square to the enging. It was tight and all but seem to be leaning. Bolts were tight, but this starter was replaced once the guy told me. I am wondering if the wrong starter was installed? You guys ever had this problem. I just want to make sure when I replace the starter and flywheel that I get the correct one. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

MatthewBraet (12-01-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Cliff H
    Thanks
    Sometimes one of the mounting holes on the block cracks, and that makes the starter not sit right. That would be the first thing I would check.

Display Name: RussK
    Thanks
    What is the engine make and model number? There are differences between the Onan B and P series that had powered the 420 originally, especially the starters and oil pans. Is the solenoid mounted to the starter or separate?

6. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    [QUOTE=bloodrunsgreen;1040840]What is the engine make and model number? There are differences between the Onan B and P series that had powered the 420 originally, especially the starters and oil pans. Is the solenoid mounted to the starter or separate?[/QUOTE

The solenoid is mounted to the starter, but the problem is I'm not sure it's the right starter because it has been changed by previous owner....also having trouble determining what engine I have because the sticker on the shroud cover is unreadable. Also I'm not even sure of the serial number of this tractor because the sticker under the steering wheel is missing. My 318 has a metal plate with the serial number. I take it the 420's were stickers because this one is missing. Is there any other way to get this information. The problem with this whole deal is that this is the nicest 420 I have ever seen. Beautiful tractor! Thanks so much for your help, may need to pick your brain some more. I will send you some picks later. Tim

Thanks
    I'm going to post some pics of my starter and flywheel and maybe that will help with what engine I have. I did check the starter mounting tabs on the block and they are not cracked. IMG_1478.jpgIMG_1477.jpgIMG_1478.jpgIMG_1480.jpgIMG_1482.jpgIMG_1488.jpgIMG_1487.jpgIMG_1483.jpgIMG_1485.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1486.jpg

Display Name: RussK
    Thanks
    Was there a plastic ring on the crankshaft? Is there a module with wires under the stator 9th pic(the thing with all the coil of wires)

Super Moderator
    Display Name: Doug Hager
    Thanks
    In the 7th picture, the part number 140-4039 indicates it is a P series engine. Both Onan parts (134-4633) and JD (HE134-4633) are the new part numbers for the replacement ring gear/flywheel. The ring gear ( the part with the teeth) can be replaces without replacing the flywheel. The ring gear part number is 104-0779.
    Last edited by dhager4692; 12-01-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add info
    "Everybody is a genius.
    But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

Display Name: Cliff H
    Thanks
    That's good that the starter mounting tabs on the block are not cracked. That starter "should" be correct, but I can see that it is a "cheap chinese copy", and so the starter may or may not be the problem. If it wasn't made exactly right, starter/flywheel engagement would suffer.

The engine looks very clean and dry, compared to most of the ones I have dealt with.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the help. I think I will replace the ring gear and someone else said my starter looked like a cheap aftermarket replacement. This is a really nice tractor worth saving.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the help. This is a very clean tractor worth saving. I will order parts tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast