any problems with using an air impact to break P218G case bolts loose???

Thread: any problems with using an air impact to break P218G case bolts loose???

Display Name: oldyankeebarn1390

Thanks

any problems with using an air impact to break P218G case bolts loose???

Are there any problems/worries with using an air impact wrench to break bolts loose in a Onan P218 G case? Trying to remove the muffler and the electric PTO to get access to the camshaft welch plug. Don't want to strip out the threads in the aluminum block.

Thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Bob Meyer

Thanks
    Yankee, I see no issues. An impact wrench just saves you the time & trouble fo putting a 4 foot piece of pipe on your breaker bar. I'd use penetrating oil...just cuz...but read can and make sure it's safe for aluminum! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

Display Name: Jake M

Thanks
    The biggest worry is that you have very little feedback if a bolt is already stuck. As far as doing damage by "zipping" the bolts out as opposed to ratcheting the bolts out, no, absolutely not.

Assembly.... Now that's a whole 'nother can of worms. Is your trigger finger dialed in to stop short, where there's plenty of room to bring the bolts tight by hand? EVERY time? If not... (and I know it sounds cheezy...), get an adapter from quarter inch hex to 3/8 square (or whatever size is appropriate), and use a variable speed drill to spin stuff down before hand tightening.