Weekend Freedom Machines banner

I wonder...

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rwmeyer 
#1 ·
why John Deere started putting the Neutral return feature on the brakes, beginning I think with the 316 or 318 model? My early 317 does not have this feature at all. Anyone know why?

#2 ·
140’s did this with the clutch but if the 318 does this than it kind of defeats the purpose of having turning brakes with separate brake pedals.

#3 ·
On my 318 the neutral return works when the pedals are locked together. 1 pedal at a time doesn't return it to neutral.
I'd venture a wag it was done as a safety feature.
There are some people that need all the safety warnings, lol. Plus, not everyone has worked with tractors or equipment these days.

Reactions: N2 Tractors
#5 ·
It is the best way to put it in neutral in a hurry. I have done it many times on my loader tractor because some times you don't have enough hands.

#6 ·
Makes sense...waiting on a SM on CD for the 317 I'm working on and read online that it doesn't have the brakes-neutral return feature. Think I also read that the 300's, 312 and 314 don't have this feature either, but could be wrong. After I get the SM I need to pull the right-side pedestal panel and have a look at the hydro linkage...it feels smooth and tight, but will speed up in F or R on it's own sometimes...hoping that means the linkage is worn.

#7 ·
Tmac, No neutral return on 317. Speeding up/slowing down could be "shock absorber" or wear. This wear can be at hydro lever end or hydro end...or both! Check it out, Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.