Ammeter testing

Thread: Ammeter testing

Display Name: Mike Grant

Thanks

Ammeter testing

I was planning on purchasing a voltmeter for my 314. While going through a parts box I found an ammeter from a Ď68 112 I parted out. The charging system on the 112 didnít work so I donít know if the meter works. This meter is for a 10 amp system, my 314 is 15 amp. So I have two questions-

1- How do I go about testing the ammeter to see if it is working? I donít want to go through the process of removing the battery plate and wiring it in between the solenoid and ignition switch only to find out it doesnít work. In the past Ive installed voltmeters between the ignition switch and light switch, which isnít as involved. I donít know if an ammeter can be done this way.

2- Will a 10 amp meter be ok in a 15 amp system?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Bob Meyer

Thanks
    Mike, 2nd question first: No! If your battery is low and your stator & regulator are putting out a full 15 amps to satisfy your battery's need, you probably burn out the meter.
    1st question: If your pto is working, disconnect wire from pto. Run a temporary wire from one terminal on the meter to the pto. Turn key and pto "On" and touch connector that was attached to pto to other terminal on the meter. You should only see a 3 amp difference, but you should see the needle move. Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

Thanks
    Thank you for the input. Battery is fine and when running it reads 14v across the terminals. Haven’t checked things at the PTO. I’ll probably just go with a voltmeter. I put a VDO voltmeter on my 210 and like the quality, looks, and it works well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Display Name: Doug Hager
    Thanks
    When your engine puts out the full amps of 15 to recharge the battery after for instance starting it is what Bob is talking about, not that the battery is fine and shows 14 volts. The issue is having 15 amps going through a meter designed for only 10 amps.
    "Everybody is a genius.
    But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanks Doug. Makes perfect sense but I thought I’d ask. I just ordered a voltmeter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-VDO-Volt...wAAOSw1qddmUBv

Display Name: Tim Stapp

Thanks
    Is this a replacement meter? I ask because if it originally had an ammeter, it would be in series with the charging circuit. If not working, battery won't recharge (consider the ammeter like a fuse). If originally a voltmeter, it would be in parallel. If you were to put a working ammeter in place of a voltmeter, it would create a short circuit and basically become a non working ammeter quickly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Stapp For This Useful Post:

MGrant†(01-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you Tim. That would explain why they are installed differently in the wiring circuit. A few years ago I tried installing it in my 210. Probably shorted it out. That now has a voltmeter.