Just picked up an X585

Thread: Just picked up an X585

Display Name: Erik

Thanks

Just picked up an X585

Hi guys, Anyone have a digital owners manual for this unit?

some of you may have seen my thread in the wrong "repair" section of this forum. Two days ago I picked up an X585 for my uncle. He wanted a setup like my 322 with cab, blower, and mower deck. When I spotted this setup, I knew it would suite him well. The cab on these X585s is huge and roomy. Wish my 322 cozy cab had that feel. I do enjoy the foot pedals for fwd/rvrs.

This X585 (2003) has the Kawasaki 25hp (PO said is was 27) liquid cooled V-twin motor with 1100hrs (just turned when I played with it yesterday) on it. It has a very nice cab with heat plumbed in, a QH single stage blower, and 54" deck.

It seems to run well but I have noticed a few things that need addressing and maybe you guys can help me out. Wish I noticed some of these things before picking it up, but I had my 2 year old and 6 mo old with me. Needless to say my attention was divided.

Things I noticed:
    1) throttle linkage/cable is binding a little and the operation is not smooth but it does move its full intended range of operation.
    2) Parking brake/brakes need adjusting as it will not stop on an incline.
    3) Cruise control via the Parking brake level does not engage, assuming I was doing correctly.
    4) The rear lift cylinder is somewhat rusted and does not move. I will clean the rust off the piston and see of that changes anything. There may be a lock out valve in play here but I don't know where it is.
    5) I am planning a tune up and complete fluid change for this thing.
    6) some surface rust exists on the underside from snow removal in NJ, so that will be addressed.
    7) The rear diff is locked and the linkage will not pop back up disengaging the diff.. The PO said the linkage binds sometimes. we will see once I get under there. I installed a locking 430 diff in my 322 and that linkage doesn't bind.
    8) I switched between 2wd and 4wd several times but didn't feel any difference in the way it drove, so maybe its working fine. I did donuts in a field and drove on the pavement a little.
    9) Fuel gauge does not work. I looked up the JD sending unit...$70ish but I don't know if that's the issue or not.

The only other thing that really bothers me is the fact that the guy said everything functions correctly other than the diff lock sticking. However, he was hiding things and I have contacted him about this already.

I will post pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by indpndntece; 01-05-2020 at 04:10 PM. Reason: finishing post

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Mike Grant

Thanks
    Not a digital, but this may be about as cheap as you can get-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-...0AAOSwAm9buTWU

there is a lockout valve beside the hydraulic fittings underneath the brake pedal. It is turned off when an attachment, ie snowblower, is being used. It keeps the deck rock shaft from utilizing hydraulics, which slows down the blower operation.
    Last edited by MGrant; 01-05-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Display Name: Chuck Van Dusen
    Thanks
    Erik,

Deere has this operator's manual on-line at http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/O...put/Index.html and you can print it out section by section to hard copy or to PDF files as I did. No cost at all but your time and paper/ink...

Chuck

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanks guys. Found the lockout valve, I will check things tomorrow.

Thanks
    Ok, the x585 is all tuned up. My uncle has enjoyed driving this tractor around and he just took it home today.

We fixed all the lights, resulting from corrosion in the sockets as well as some bad wiring. I installed led bulbs for the markers, reverse, and headlights. They look great. I also installed a 22inch led lightbar on the front of the cab. this will provided plenty of light when he blows snow (if we ever get any) from the comfort of his heated cab.

I cleaned up the rusted rear lift cylinder piston but forgot to check it before my uncle left with the tractor. He will need to check its operation.

I noticed this 585 does not have the cruise control setup in it. Maybe it was extra to have it factory or maybe it was removed.

The locking rear diff is certainly locked up. The linked will move freely up and down but hangs down all the time. I guess there is a return spring on the linkage that is missing or broken. I found a broken piece of spring. The lever at the side of the diff moves freely but the internal components are still locked. Not sure what the deal is there. Any thoughts guys?

I still need to get a service manual to research how to adjust the brakes and address the locking diff.

I also noticed the hydro levers do not like to return to neutral sometimes after raising or lowering the blower. The linkage looked fine and clean. Maybe a dampener if there is one on this linkage? Or the valve is sticking a bit.

I will post pics.

Display Name: George of Buford

Thanks
    The rusted rockshaft lift cylinder could have leaking problems because of the shaft cutting the shaft seals. Run it and see if it leaks.

I own two X595 tractors and they both have cruise control. The cruise control paddle is above the Parking Brake paddle. The stencil is missing from one of mine, so at first I thought it did not have cruise control. In my opinion, this is a worthless option that I never use.

These transmissions will occasionally freeze up in in the diff lock mode. Try going back and forward a couple times to release it.
    If the Differential Lock is frozen, there may be a broken return spring inside the hydro. Lift the rear wheels up, release the parking brake, try to twist and pull on the shaft to release it. Replacing this spring is a major problem.

The hydro valve probably just need to be operated many times to free them up. This not unusual on a X-Series tractor. The float function on a valve is a normal problem for a tractor that has not been used. Many owners do not even the float function know exists. There is no damper.

George of Buford
    Last edited by jdjake49; 01-31-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    Just John Deere

X595 Diesel with 62C Deck

X595 Diesel with Buford Bucket and 62C Deck
    x740 Diesel with 62C Deck

2210 CUT with Buford Bucket Compact Loader
    John Deere TS Gator

Thanks
    Thanks George, I advised my uncle about manually unlocking the diff by twisting and pulling the locking rod. As for the piston shaft, he will continue to sand it with a very fine grit to reduce or eliminate the potential of tearing the seal. This X585 never had the cruise control installed. The hydro valve does "stick" a little with the up/down circuit. The float function does work.

Display Name: jim maness

Thanks
    A little late to the thread, but are you still looking for the X585TM? I had one at one time and if you are still looking, I will try to locate it.