430 Lack of power and black smoke

Thread: 430 Lack of power and black smoke

Display Name: Tom

Thanks

430 Lack of power and black smoke

I've noticed this year on my 430 with my 50" single stage blower the tractor has to go very slow when taking on the full width of the blower in snow. This is in various snow conditions light and fluffy or heavy and wet. Last year I thought it didn't struggle at all taking on any type of snow at full width, or maybe my memory isn't as good as it used to! It's very easy to take on too much snow and have the engine die. When it does start to struggle the rpms drop and there is black smoke. I'm using low gear on the 2 speed transaxle as I was last year. It will still throw the snow okay as long as I go extremely slow or take on half width. I have replaced all filters and fluids on this tractor except for the fuel filter. I have a new fuel filter to install, but this doesn't make sense to me that the fuel filter being plugged would cause black smoke. Any thoughts appreciated.
    1968 112
    1979? 216
    1988 430

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Bob Meyer

Thanks
    Tom, I'm not a diesel guru and know very little about them. To me black smoke means a rich mixture...either too much fuel or not enough air... and I agree with you that a plugged filter would not cause this.

WHEN did you change the air filter(s)? Is it possible you've got a nest in there restricting air flow?

My other thought be be something governor related...engine slows down due to a load and governor overcompensates and supplies too much fuel. All I've got! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

Display Name: KnottyRope
    Thanks
    Check your air filter and the inlet

Sounds like it might be iced up and lack of air will make it smoke a lot

Black Smoke is usually un burnt fuel with a diesel
    1st 69 140 H3 with 49 thrower, wheel weights tri ribs, Firestone Turfs and can borrow my dads attachments
    2nd 69 140 H3 with deck and front weight bracket
    84 420 with turfs, chains, 46 thrower, wheel weights and rear weight bracket - my winter warrior
    91 430 with turfs on front, Firestone 23 on rear, 50 in deck and MCS 2 bagger - my summer fuel sipper
    95 F350 XLT 4x4 CrewCab 7.3 Diesel

Got KIK? Send me your KIK name via PM to be added into the WFM KIK Group.

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I will check air filter again. Tractor is stored in my heated shop so its never out in the cold long. It also seemed this way this summer when I had a loader on it moving dirt, the engine would die taking on a full 48" of dirt at a high speed in low gear with ags and 500 lbs on the rear. Heard to tell but it sounds like the engine RPM drops slightly once it gets good and heat soaked, so maybe it is something with the governor?
    1968 112
    1979? 216
    1988 430

Display Name: Neil Paku

Thanks
    The other thing to check is that the tube from the air cleaner to the engine is not collapsing and choking off the intake. This one is hard to find unless you happen to eyeball it occurring so if you suspect this cause, remove the tube temporarily and give it another run on the blower. A few minutes in the snow won't hurt the engine
    __PRESENT

Thanks
    Anyone else with a 430 can you take on the full width of snow with the 50 blower doing anything more then as slow as possible with the trans in low and hydro lever just off neutral?

The air intake tube could be collapsing there is not spring in it, I'll check that tonight.
    1968 112
    1979? 216
    1988 430

Display Name: KnottyRope
    Thanks
    The rubber over the years collapses. We had a nother member have this happen and they bought some rad hose from auto store
    1st 69 140 H3 with 49 thrower, wheel weights tri ribs, Firestone Turfs and can borrow my dads attachments
    2nd 69 140 H3 with deck and front weight bracket
    84 420 with turfs, chains, 46 thrower, wheel weights and rear weight bracket - my winter warrior
    91 430 with turfs on front, Firestone 23 on rear, 50 in deck and MCS 2 bagger - my summer fuel sipper
    95 F350 XLT 4x4 CrewCab 7.3 Diesel

Got KIK? Send me your KIK name via PM to be added into the WFM KIK Group.

Display Name: kdl

Thanks
    Keep us posted on how you make out. Mine does the same as the OP's. I've always been surprised by the lack of power when blowing snow. I would have expected more. I'll be following along.

Display Name: Neil Paku

Thanks
    Can't check today - it's fifty, raining, and not a skerrick of snow anywhere. Quite bizarre for the middle of winter.
    That said, hitting a heavy bank of snow with the 47" does take a bit of hp to blow__PRESENT

Thanks
    Im in the opposite boat, its -22 f here right now and I don't wanna even pull it out of the garage. I will try to update when I do test it. I did look at the hose in the garage and at 60f it takes a small amount of force to collapse it, we may be onto something.
    1968 112
    1979? 216
    1988 430