Cornhead grease substitute? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cornhead grease substitute?

Display Name: David C.Dunbar

Thanks
    Bob's post #2 about most lubes not being where needed can be a real problem. So many specs depending on application. My wife makes lots of her own recipes whole grain breads with organic ingredients The gears in the Kitchen Aid mixer sounded dry and laboring. Yes the machine was many years old, high mileage. Pulled the gear case apart, orig white lube type everywhere but on the spur gears. Cleaned gearbox, liberal dose of JD corn head. Sounds happy now. Being more of a liquid, it weeps a bit but not a problem. Google the JD corn head grease video. David

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Mike Grant

Thanks
    Found this answer to the “why cornhead grease?”question-

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ease-what.html

Display Name: Bob Meyer

Thanks
    Good find Mike! I particularly like the comment in post #2, 'as it will slump to prevent cavitation voids like a #2 grease.' And as stated elsewhere in the thread, it has definite uses and places where it is NOT used. Heavy loaded areas require an EP grease or a moly grease, and cornhead is neither! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

Thanks
    Yes Bob, which is in so many words what you said in the second post of this thread. Thanks again.

Display Name: Jake M

Thanks
    I'm going to concur with the thread here. While you can technically find other greases designed for similar purposes, you're going to pay five times as much for similar performance. That gearbox is not terribly demanding of it's lubricant, you could substitute other types all together... Primarily though, the John Deere stuff, right from the dealer, is under five bucks a tube, and quite literally built to a "set it and forget it" quality point. Good to go (in this application....) for another twenty, thirty, forty years so long as you don't cut the seals. At that price, you really can't save enough to make it worth scheduling that gearbox for periodic oil changes.

Display Name: tmac

Thanks
    I used to use Lubriplate 105 white engine assembly grease in the lower units of direct drive antique outboard motors, basically those with no shift or gears...just spin it around to reverse, etc. Cornhead grease was an acceptable substitute...hence this reply. Lubriplate is non-emulsifiable...won't mix with or dilute down and seep out due to water intrusion...which may not even be a factor in your application...just sayin'. Just my .02 cents...hope it helps.

Thanks
    Saturday I picked up some Cornhead grease at my dealer. Yesterday I filled the gearbox with the 3 oz the manual called for. It is definitely a lighter viscosity compared to standard grease. Just to see how it would react to temperature I got out my HF heat gun and warmed the grease for about 45 seconds. True to expectations, the grease, while only a bit warm, would slowly ooze off the gears and sides of the gear case. No doubt that while tilling in warmer weather (it was 35 degrees in my barn) it will be fluid enough to keep the gears and bearings lubricated despite cavitation.

Display Name: Jerry
    Thanks
    Excellent experiment! I was going to do the same thing when I did the gearbox on my blower but put the cover on before I thought about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12