Shop Electrical Help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Electrical Help

Display Name: Old Green

Thanks
    Interesting posts. I am an electrician, (licensed Master for 40+ Yrs) A few things to note. 1st: Aluminum wire is fine, as long as your connections are rated CU/AL. (They will be labeled). Also be sure to use an anti-oxidant sealer at all Al. connections. Supply houses have it, also big box home stores. (HD, Lowes etc), Note also that modern Aluminum used in wire has been alloyed to be reliable for use in these feeds. (As opposed to the older wire which gave it it's bad reputation) From your description both panels (Home & Garage) are considered "Sub Panels", and require the ground to be isolated from the neutral at the panels. Neutral and grounding conductors are only bonded at the Service Point, which in your case is the pole, and the 200 amp panel referenced. Separate ground bars are available where you purchased your panel, and your house panel should have the grounds isolated also. Remove or do not install the included green bonding screw that comes with the panel. The Main Panel at the pole will need this "bonding jumper installed". (only at this panel) At least one ground rod should be at each at each of the three locations. Separating the grounds prevents "Objectionable Currents" from flowing on your grounding system.
    Have fun! R.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (02-27-2020),MiniHomesteader (02-29-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: JDF
    Thanks
    Thank You Old green!!
    You gave me as much information than I've gotten from 2 weeks of asking different sources. Everything you said was clear and exactly what I have finally put together from all the pieces of information I have begged for from others...lol Thanks. And yes, I bought a bottle of Noalox for the connections.
    I am doing everything myself except for the hookup at the power pole, I've got a licensed electrician lined up for that. He will double check my work while here.

JDF/SWAMPFOX/JERRY

Display Name: Nate
    Thanks
    Old green hit the nail on the head. That is exactly how my property is wired. House feed garage which feeds an outbuilding. I didn’t jump in since I couldn’t figure out the correct terminology(my FIL is the electrical engineer).
    1966 60 (Soon to be 12 HP), 1985 111
    1967 112, 1966 110
    46 Mower Deck, Modified 31 Tiller, 36 Snowblower, 42 Blade
    21 Power Drive

Custom Mini Wagon

Brinly CC-500
    Hinson No 1977&1978 Weather Shield

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MiniHomesteader For This Useful Post:

JDF/ SwampFox (03-02-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12