John Deere 3000 P. W. with Robin EX21 engine

Thread: John Deere 3000 P. W. with Robin EX21 engine

Display Name: RLC

Thanks

John Deere 3000 P. W. with Robin EX21 engine

I have a John Deere 3000 psi pressure washer with a Subaru/Robin EX21 gas engine.
    Went to remove the carb. to clean and hit a snag. In my desire to clean the whole carb, I proceeded to try to remove the black plastic limiter cap that is on the mixture screw. Was not able to pry off the plastic cap. This led to breaking and shearing the needle into two pieces. Plastic cap still attached to the top portion of the needle. Not my day.

Needed to remove the broken portion of the needle from the carb. body. "Easy Out" came to mind. Past uses of a Easy Out has given me mixed results. This time, I drilled a 5/64 hole into broken needle. Then used a #1 Easy Out. Needle is made from brass metal, so it was easy to drill. I did not have much room to spare using drill bit on needle body. At this point, I am a little nervous. What can happen? If I drill off center, hit the threads of the carb, I will be buying a NEW carb. !!!! Anyway, all went well and broken needle was removed with out a problem.

So, a desire to have a clean carb, engine would not start, has led me to now search for a new needle. Ugh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hitefox1; 02-25-2020 at 01:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Smile Update

Quote Originally Posted by hitefox1 View Post
    I have a John Deere 3000 psi pressure washer with a Subaru/Robin EX21 gas engine.
    Went to remove the carb. to clean and hit a snag. In my desire to clean the whole carb, I proceeded to try to remove the black plastic limiter cap that is on the mixture screw. Was not able to pry off the plastic cap. This led to breaking and shearing the needle into two pieces. Plastic cap still attached to the top portion of the needle. Not my day.

Needed to remove the broken portion of the needle from the carb. body. "Easy Out" came to mind. Past uses of a Easy Out has given me mixed results. This time, I drilled a 5/64 hole into broken needle. Then used a #1 Easy Out. Needle is made from brass metal, so it was easy to drill. I did not have much room to spare using drill bit on needle body. At this point, I am a little nervous. What can happen? If I drill off center, hit the threads of the carb, I will be buying a NEW carb. !!!! Anyway, all went well and broken needle was removed with out a problem.

So, a desire to have a clean carb, engine would not start, has led me to now search for a new needle. Ugh.
    I have given up looking for a new carb. needle. Did not find one. Instead purchased a New aftermarket carb. for the EX21 engine.
    Very reasonable price which included three intake gaskets, carb and two fuel filters. Unboxed the new carb. Installed on engine, added gasoline, fired right up and ran as it should. Happy Camper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hitefox1 For This Useful Post:

lt230s (03-04-2020)

Display Name: Bob Meyer

Thanks
    Glad everything worked out. The idle needle screw on my 322 was questionable and I WAS thinking about buying a new one...until I found out Deere wanted $110 for it! Old questionable one works fine! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

6. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Glad everything worked out. The idle needle screw on my 322 was questionable and I WAS thinking about buying a new one...until I found out Deere wanted $110 for it! Old questionable one works fine! Bob
    Bob
    Are you sure that Deere idle needle screw for $110.00 was not a typo. error. Move that decimal point to the left by one, drop a zero.
    $11.00. !!

Display Name: Loren Holm

Thanks
    Maybe like the $ 450+ CD-ROM manual for the 318.

Even my local dealer didn't believe it was that much.