Gutless 322
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gutless 322

Display Name: Matt

Thanks

Gutless 322

I've got a 322 that I assume is one of the last years of production, only way I can tell is that it has the worthless electric choke. Someone before me "restored" the tractor and probably destroyed the serial number tag like they did the rest of the tractor. I've got a 47 blower mounted on the the tractor and anything over 3" of snow it can't handle. Tractor will pretty much bog down and stall out if I don't crawl along at a snails pace. I checked the throttle adjustment according to the service manual and everything checked out, but it still seems like its lacking in the rpm department. I have noticed that from an idle I can move the throttle lever about halfway through the range before it will do anything... Today I was cleaning up some drifts and it would barley throw the snow past the blower housing, and as soon as it would reach the deeper snow it would bog down and plug up. What is the rpm and wot supposed to be? Also how does one go about adjusting the electric clutch? it seems to engage fine, but I'd like to to check it.. For as much as the 322 and 47 blower are bragged about I can honestly say I'm not all that impressed with either. I've seen a Chinese walk behind snowblower throw more snow than this 47. I've got 800 feet of driveway to maintain, and it shouldn't be the struggle its been.
    1989 322
    1991 322
    1968 110

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: RussK
    Thanks
    Well start with a compression check, then you may need to do leak down test. When were the valves last adjusted on the engine?

Here is what manual (TM1591) for the 322 says if engine does not get full power:

E ENGINE DOES NOT DEVELOP FULL POWER
    • Adjust idle mixture screw: GO TO Å
    • Check and adjust idle speeds: GO TO Ö
    • Test ignition spark and spark plugs: GO TO 1Ô
    • Test fuel transfer pump: GO TO Õ
    • Check muffler for restriction or plugged condition.
    • Test compression pressure: GO TO [email protected]
    • Check and adjust valve clearance: See Engine CTM12.

NOTE: Check engine speeds using JT05719 Hand-Held Digital Tachometer. Read rpm at front universal joint of drive shaft or flywheel.
    Remove rubber plug from flywheel viewing hole.
    Hold throttle plate indicator (A) against stop screw (B). Turn screw (B) until slow idle is 1350 ±50 rpm.
    Hold governor lever against fast idle stop bolt (C). Fast idle should be 3450 ±50 rpm.
    If fast idle rpm is not correct, loosen nut (D) and turn bolt (C) until fast idle speed is correct. Tighten nut (D)
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 03-02-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Display Name: Chuck Van Dusen
    Thanks
    Only the earliest tractors had the manual choke, and even my 1988 322 had been converted to the auto choke -- my 1992 came with it of course. The auto choke never gave me any grief, but I kept it adjusted and free to move as shown in the CTM12 and the TM1591 (an also my tractors were in a less frigid climate being in the Pacific Northwest...)

Most likely you have a bad coil...it it amazing how smoothly these little engines run on only two cylinders. The list that Russ gives above is the right place to start, and the RPM values are the correct ones for this engine. Do you have the TM1591 and the CTM12 manuals? Here are some excerpts that may help with the carburetor and choke adjustments....
    322 carbutetor from Tm1591.pdf

carburetor cleaning cautions.jpg

Carburetor info for 322.pdf

Chuck

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: tmac

Thanks
    Yeah, do a spark test and see if all your coils/plugs are firing. My 322 puts a nice fat spark on the front plug first crack out of the box, then it disappears...so mine runs on 2 cylinders. I have a bad pickup coil under the flywheel cover that needs to be replaced and is on the repair list. I only start it occasionally to charge the battery and move it around to do other maintenance like change the oil/filter. Also check your oil dipstick for signs of gas...if you've lost spark on one cylinder, it's gasoline from the carb will wind up in the crankcase...not good. Good luck with your 322.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check out those items next time I'm around the tractor. Its does seems to take an awful long time to start it cold. It will just crank for a good 10 seconds or more, before it attempts to fire. The electric choke likes to stay on way longer than I think it needs to, but after a few minutes of running it seems to lean itself out as it warms up. Its just been a problem child the entire time I've had it, I can see now why the guy was selling it....

Chuckv I do not have a copy of either of those manuals. Every time I see one for sale I miss it by a day or so. I usually just screen shot pictures of the manuals I happened to come across online in various searches.
    1989 322
    1991 322
    1968 110

Display Name: RussK
    Thanks
    PM sent

Display Name: Neil Paku

Thanks
    Check your spark plug wires too. My car was hard to start when warm, missed on acceleration, and didn't have a lot of power. I went through new plugs, injectors, filters, cleaned out the EGR(did need that done though), and nothing changed. In exasperation, I bought a new set of coils, which happened to come with a set of wires. I thought what the heck and just replaced the wires - brand new car! I didn't even install the new coils. It was that simple and of course I regretted not taking the easy path first. Give it a try if you haven't already (didn't see above if you had so apologies if you've already changed them)

Thanks
    I messed with the tractor today some. I pulled the plugs and checked for spark at each one. The spark was weak at best and was all over the place. From what I could tell it was running on all 3 but the plug wire to what I assume is number one (cylinder right behind the coil bank) was pretty much toast. I robbed a coil off my other 322 to see if it made any difference and it made a slight difference, but it still bogs way down. All three coils looks questionable, along withe the wires. I'd like to replace all 3 coils and plugs, is there a place other than the dealer to get these parts? What are you guys running for spark plugs, factor plugs or something different? I don't know how good my compression tester is, but I'll give that a check tomorrow. and see where its at.
    1989 322
    1991 322
    1968 110

Display Name: tmac

Thanks
    Try the auction site for parts...caveat emptor though, some good, some sketchy. Get a hold of a copy of the SM...it has all the tests in it for all the electrical components.

Display Name: Neil Paku

Thanks
    Are the plug wires separate from the coil? (Not familiar with the gas Yanmars although I would very much like one. I've become a fan of gas engines, especially BIG ones : ) If so, you could just borrow any old plug wires to check. If not, then it would have to be coil incl. wires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast