Possible Head Gasket Leak
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Head Gasket Leak

Display Name: Bonecrusher
    Thanks

Possible Head Gasket Leak

JD 110 RF k181- Today for the 2nd time in the history of me owning the tractor I mowed with it. First time I thought I heard a rod knock and stopped (almost 2 years ago) figured I would try again sometime in the future. Well today after about 30 minutes of mowing I noticed smoke coming out near the head. After letting the tractor cool down for a couple minutes it was fine. Is this a bad headgasket and possibly warped head? Or something else. I will say the tractor ran and mowed extremely well even with the smoke.
    Thanks for any help ~Reno

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Mike Grant

Thanks
    Get a light and inspect around the head gasket For oil. Will probably involve removing the engine tin. Look for a wet spot where the head meets the block. Is it a 110H? If so you might be having an issue with a leaking pump. This would result in hydraulic fluid leaking down on the motor, causing the smoke.
    Last edited by MGrant; 05-20-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    Nope not an a hydro lift just regular. I saw oil by the dip stick but not near the head. I will pull the tin and check tho.

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I’s also give the valve cover area a good look. If possible thoroughly wipe the block dry and look for fresh oil when you start it. Given the age of an RF, leaking seeping gaskets are a given.

Display Name: Bill Fleisch
    Thanks
    Once you have the tin off the top you can also put a socket wrench on the head bolts and see if any are loose. To set properly you should use a torque wrench, but just to check if they are loose or snug you should be Ok without one if you don't have it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smalljob For This Useful Post:

ed_lincoln (05-22-2020)

Thanks
    Pulled all the tins off and could not find any evidence of a headgadket leak. But my head bolts where mismatched and not orginal. So i decided to pull the head and could see on the gasket where it had been leaking. The previous person did not clean the surfaces for the head gasket so it never sealed well.

Thanks
    Update- replaced headgasket and it blew it out after about 15 minutes.

Next day replaced with another new headgasket (glad I ordered a spare) and seems to be fine now. I think I somehow tightened the head to the wrong specs that or they loosened up.

Going back in to double check that it hasnt loosened and it should be good to go. I will add that I found out the motor has been bored .040 over.. which I didnt even know they made.

Display Name: grandpajay
    Thanks
    I just put a head gasket in a K301 from a Chinese source that looked like that style. It only lasted an hour. Went with a Kohler OEM and it has a metal liner all the way around for a much more durable design. I also learned that Kohler spec is to torque with lubricated head bolt threads.
    Grandpa Jay
    1981 JD400 a long ways from stock

Thanks
    I got these from I save tractors. The 2nd time around I did the factory spec torque with the lubricated threads.

Thanks
    A few months ago I replaced the head gasket on 314. It was an aftermarket gasket that had a rather non metallic, cheap feel to it. Seems to be doing it’s job. When I recently replaced the head gasket on my 110 with a K181 I decided to splurge and spent the extra two dollars on a Kohler OEM. Like Jay said, it has a metal surface on both sides. Looks and feels like a much better gasket. Will stick with OEM from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast