I need hints...electrical gremlin...grrrr! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need hints...electrical gremlin...grrrr!

Display Name: Randy

Thanks
    Well, I got around to the fuel tank finish up task and I also checked charge voltage at battery. Alternator is doing it's thing at about 14.5volts at battery at full throttle and about 13.6 volts at idle. At rest battery voltage was 12.7v.

The battery may have been at bit low because earlier today I ran it out of gas and forgot to go out and turn the switch off for about an hour, then I spun it for about 20 seconds to be sure that it actually ran out of gas instead of for some other reason. It was out of gas at the primary pickup.

Put in the reserve pickup and pressed on the tank in reserve position to help fuel into the filter and it fired right up. Then I checked voltages.

The light is still on. I guess next is dig back down inside under the battery and check fuses? At least the 2 amp fuse (F2)?

Am I close?
    Last edited by Randy-IA; 06-28-2020 at 07:20 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Skwirl
    Thanks
    Yes.
    Post #3 from Chuck says fuse f2.
    It may just be some corrosion on it.
    85 JD 212 - 46 in deck
    77 JD 212 - 38 in deck - 43 blade - 37a thrower
    88 JD 318 - 54 in quick hitch 4 way hyd blade - Ruegg cat 0 3pt hitch - rear blade.
    Ruegg front weight bracket - Aux hyd positive lockout
    72 JD 140 H3 - 48 in deck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skwirl For This Useful Post:

Randy-IA (06-28-2020)

Thanks
    OK, I checked both fuses...both OK, no corrosion and looked fine. I have yet to make sure I don't have any broken wires in the pink and red wires but it's looking more and more like it's the TDCM (I guess it could be in the ignition switch also), or maybe (and most likely) a bad connection at the multi wire connector. I did find a loose connection in that connector and I pushed it back into the connector with a small screwdriver....coincidence? Maybe. But, I'm now thinking that it was loose for a reason. The guy I bought this from was not what I would call honorable. Even if he did say he managed a coop in his small town and lived in a very nice house. I have found a number of things that he said about it that simply were not true.

Regardless, that was then, this is now. I can't actually get my hands down into the area where the connector is. It was a struggle to push that connector back in and it's highly possible that it did not stay. I'll check that tomorrow and since I never did get around to sharpening the blades on the deck I still have that to do.

Display Name: Skwirl
    Thanks
    I did a little looking in the manuel for ya.
    Screenshot_20200628-221846_Drive.jpg

Check for batt voltage at pin #5 in the x23 connector.
    That's voltage in to tdcm.
    If that checks ok, then....
    Run tractor,
    Check for a ground signal at pin 1 of x23 connector.

If you have the proper voltage at pin 5 going to tdcm,
    And the ground on pin 1 when running....
    Tdcm is probably bad.
    But you'll want to be sure the wire in pin 1 isnt finding ground somewhere else.

Pin 2, right next to it is the ground wire.

Hope I helped. Good luck.
    85 JD 212 - 46 in deck
    77 JD 212 - 38 in deck - 43 blade - 37a thrower
    88 JD 318 - 54 in quick hitch 4 way hyd blade - Ruegg cat 0 3pt hitch - rear blade.
    Ruegg front weight bracket - Aux hyd positive lockout
    72 JD 140 H3 - 48 in deck.

Thanks
    It probably will. Thanks!

Display Name: Chuck Van Dusen
    Thanks
    Skwirl,

Just a few things about your post above:

Yes, X23 pin 1 is the wire that controls the dash lamp for charge condition -- +12 volts is lamp not lighted and low (dear zero volts) is lamp lit.

However, pin 5 is the sense voltage for the voltage detection circuit inside the TDCM (pin 3 actually provides power to the circuitry inside...)

X23 pin 2 is not a ground connection -- it is actively driven by a relay inside the TDCM and provides power to the ignition and the hour meter.

X22 pin 10 on the TDCM is module ground, and a poor connection here is often the cause for many odd behaviors falsely blamed on the TDCM itself. A bad module ground is very likely the root symptom in this case, but not the only possibility. It is best to eliminate all external potential causes of your symptoms before investing a large amount in a new TDCM which is not a returnable purchase at Deere. I never recommend buying a used TDCM because they can be damaged by harness hacks by uninformed owners and are therefore an unknown quantity -- exchanging such an unknown into your present symptoms still leaves considerable ambiguity.

Here is a document on what each pin of the TDCM does and what voltages/conditions are normal for a working one for your testing purposes...

TDCM connector voltage measurements and their meanings.pdf

Chuck

Thanks
    Thanks all! I think I have it figured out. I just have go out and see it personally down inside the rat's nest of wires and figure out how I'm going to access all those points in order to check them. It's not as bad as that but like I keep saying, with everything packed into that space access is limited from the top.

I don't want to admit I'm a weather wimp but the humidity today is near 85% and the temps (for me) are a bit too high to make working looking down on electrical stuff (connections) that would be sensitive to salty sweat pouring down into it out of the question. I went outside with the dogs earlier and it felt horrible out there. I have to work under the sky, no shade (although it is cloudy today) I could still feel the sun.

I'm really considering going to Home Depot or someplace and buying a pop-up canopy for some shade. I'm getting soft in my old age!

Super Moderator
    Display Name: Doug Hager
    Thanks
    I'm getting soft in my old age!.
    Sometimes that can also cause you to get smart. Shade is always better whether it is a popup or a big shade tree.
    "Everybody is a genius.
    But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dhager4692 View Post
    Sometimes that can also cause you to get smart. Shade is always better whether it is a popup or a big shade tree.
    But that term...shade tree mechanic...it's so upsetting....

Display Name: Matthew Yoder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy-IA View Post
    Thanks all! I think I have it figured out. I just have go out and see it personally down inside the rat's nest of wires and figure out how I'm going to access all those points in order to check them. It's not as bad as that but like I keep saying, with everything packed into that space access is limited from the top.

I don't want to admit I'm a weather wimp but the humidity today is near 85% and the temps (for me) are a bit too high to make working looking down on electrical stuff (connections) that would be sensitive to salty sweat pouring down into it out of the question. I went outside with the dogs earlier and it felt horrible out there. I have to work under the sky, no shade (although it is cloudy today) I could still feel the sun.

I'm really considering going to Home Depot or someplace and buying a pop-up canopy for some shade. I'm getting soft in my old age!
    It's kind of brutal out there today, I don't blame you. My son picked up a canopy tent (think farmers market) at Walmart for ~$40.

Fine for shade and light rain.

I just replaced my furnace and kept the old fan, which I converted into a floor fan for the garage & outdoors. It moves some air and will make a shaded area tolerable on a day like today. Any extra air movement helps in this humidity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast