Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Mid mower lock up on JD 420

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  AWK44883 
#1 ·
Is there a way to install the deck on the jd 420 and allow the deck to be stuck in the top position and allow 3 point usage?

:)

#4 ·
I needed to do the same thing on my 430. I have the 60-inch deck and I don't think the transport latch was made for that deck. Nevertheless I found a simple and cheap solution. There are holes in the frame (on both sides) right above the rear edge of the mower deck. I put a 3/8 inch bolt through that hole so about 1-inch of the shaft protrudes (non-threaded portion). Then hang a turnbuckle on that and hook to the lower edge of the deck. See pictures below. When the deck is in the raised position, install the turnbuckle on each side and and hand tighten. Be sure to screw in the height adjuster on the rear if you want full motion of the 3 pt. The turnbuckle is available at Menards (3/8 x 10.5 inch, item #2550816) for $1.74 each.

Bill
Machine Machine tool Metal
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

#7 ·
I needed to do the same thing on my 430. I have the 60-inch deck and I don't think the transport latch was made for that deck. Nevertheless I found a simple and cheap solution. There are holes in the frame (on both sides) right above the rear edge of the mower deck. I put a 3/8 inch bolt through that hole so about 1-inch of the shaft protrudes (non-threaded portion). Then hang a turnbuckle on that and hook to the lower edge of the deck. See pictures below. When the deck is in the raised position, install the turnbuckle on each side and and hand tighten. Be sure to screw in the height adjuster on the rear if you want full motion of the 3 pt. The turnbuckle is available at Menards (3/8 x 10.5 inch, item #2550816) for $1.74 each.

Bill
View attachment 255538 View attachment 255536
Thank you for this!! I will look to do the same.

I am a JD newbie... Can you explain this more?
"screw in the height adjuster on the rear"

:)

#6 ·
FWIW- I just checked the dealer price for a Deere transport kit for my 318...not available. But they can get one from the Parts Depot. I got sticker shock...again at how proud Deere is of their parts!

$75 for the kit.

I'm pretty certain homemade will work just as good for a few dollars in comparison! There's really nothing to it, just a bent metal latch and a couple of bolts and cotter keys.

#9 ·
Parts Depot sets their own prices. 99% of the time they are cheaper then Deere would be. Depending on the dealer's policy, Depot's suggested list could actually be less than what the dealer is telling you.

#10 ·
Andy, probably what has happened is the surplus inventory was sold to Vintage Parts. What I have found is the cost of the part is not the issue but every piece they sell they charge outrageous shipping cost. You cannot blame Deere for this because Deere is not setting the cost. They are only the middle man supplying you a part from some other company.

Gabby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.