Redundant Noob question - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redundant Noob question

Super Moderator
    Display Name: M. Drew
    Thanks
    I always thought that avatar was an actual picture of Army.

Picking a tractor can be a challenge, you've been given some good suggestions. You need to kind of compare them to what attachments you want and the projects you have, that will help narrow it down some. You might find, like many here, including myself, that in the end you need or must have more than one. For me it's always been finding what I'm looking for vs what I'm willing to spend and then hunting for a deal.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Display Name: Derrell

Thanks
    That is a huge difference between the two and I'm guessing that will be reflected in the cost. I see a 420 on CL right now with a deck and SB. I'm going to be doing some reading tonight for sure.
    Thanx guy's
    Last edited by Derrell; 03-26-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Display Name: KnottyRope
    Thanks
    I have used a 332, 140, 420, 430

I enjoy the 430 and 420 the most for my comfort as I am 6 foot tall.

I like the fuel savings of the diesel which uses half the fuel of a gasser.

400 series attachments can get costly.
    300 series attachments cost a lil less in my area

god luck on deciding on what you want
    1st 69 140 H3 with 49 thrower, wheel weights tri ribs, Firestone Turfs and can borrow my dads attachments
    2nd 69 140 H3 with deck and front weight bracket
    84 420 with turfs, chains, 46 thrower, wheel weights and rear weight bracket - my winter warrior
    91 430 with turfs on front, Firestone 23 on rear, 50 in deck and MCS 2 bagger - my summer fuel sipper
    95 F350 XLT 4x4 CrewCab 7.3 Diesel

Got KIK? Send me your KIK name via PM to be added into the WFM KIK Group.

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I've been poking around the internet and my suspicions are confirmed as to the price difference between the 318 & 420. I DO like the 420 has big advantages over the 318 - but does this matter to me? I dunno..what I need is a snow blower...absolutely without question....push blade - on the fence about that but can see the use for one...grass cutter...yep...gonna need that also. Down the road a loader would be great to have and heck even a back hoe attachment would eventually save me some back pain. I'm looking for a set up of tractor/SB/Deck to start this adventure and $$$ is the key to me sleeping in bed or sleeping with the JD (which some nites might be better LOL) My property is mostly wooded and will remain that way, other than taking down dead tree's and turning those into firewood - which is a great question: Does JD offer a log splitter attachment? That would be another "gotta have" for me. I know, I know...better to have and not need then the other way around...just need some thing that will take on my needs, perhaps be able to get more attachments in the future.
    Thanks guy's
    -Derrell

Display Name: Rydplrs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 825 Posts
    Hold on to your wallet shopping for a #4 splitter.

A 318 will do anything you want. 400/420/430 do it faster nicer and more comfortably. If it's a 400 series make sure you buy a package, attachments are more expensive and hard to find. With any of these tractors and loader or the unicorn with backhoe are usually a separate tractor. 425/445/455 you can add a loader that's reasonable to swap out, but a backhoe males me want an earlier model, they do feel more solid then a 4x5, maybe it's just the plastic hood, and side panels.

A 430 is the Tim Taylor model, mine always made me smile. I have a 445 now, it's tough but doesn't feel it like the older ones

Display Name: Army
    Thanks
    Terry.. excellent rundown on the differences between the sizes and capabilities of the tractors, plus mentioning the diesel option. Whatever you choose Derrell try to get one with a 3 pt hitch or buy one and add it. Lots of uses. And they look cool too.

Army

• 1981 JD 400, 1980 JD 400, 1975 JD 400, various JD 400 attachments, 1966 JD 110 RF, 1979 JD 214, JD L100, JD 111
    • Cub Cadet Model 71, Ford 8N w/6 ft Woods belly deck, Ford 860
    • 1990 EZGO (gator wannabe), 1997 Club Car and 1970 Cushman golf carts
    • 2000 F150 4x4 shortbox stepside, 1976 Corvette, 1950 F1 Ford pickup, 1996 Splash 5.0 V8 project
    • Armstrong 3 HP antique stationary engine (runs like a top) and a couple other hit and miss type engines

Display Name: Army
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I always thought that avatar was an actual picture of Army.

Picking a tractor can be a challenge, you've been given some good suggestions. You need to kind of compare them to what attachments you want and the projects you have, that will help narrow it down some. You might find, like many here, including myself, that in the end you need or must have more than one. For me it's always been finding what I'm looking for vs what I'm willing to spend and then hunting for a deal.
    Who can get mad at a face like that?

Army

• 1981 JD 400, 1980 JD 400, 1975 JD 400, various JD 400 attachments, 1966 JD 110 RF, 1979 JD 214, JD L100, JD 111
    • Cub Cadet Model 71, Ford 8N w/6 ft Woods belly deck, Ford 860
    • 1990 EZGO (gator wannabe), 1997 Club Car and 1970 Cushman golf carts
    • 2000 F150 4x4 shortbox stepside, 1976 Corvette, 1950 F1 Ford pickup, 1996 Splash 5.0 V8 project
    • Armstrong 3 HP antique stationary engine (runs like a top) and a couple other hit and miss type engines

Thanks
    Great advice guys - Thanks! And to think when I first started looking at a JD LT I thought a 110 would be enough (not knocking the 110 though...seen some beautiful restores)
    So JD does have a splitter attachment that's would fit a 318 or 420 - perfect! It seems that the 420's are not easy to find and when you do they command a good price...so does the 318 but seems like they usually have at least a couple of attachments for around the same price as a 420 only. I do appreciate your opinions and input. The issue at hand is getting to see any of the units first hand...I see a lot on line but miles away from me , not that I mind a road trip, but to drive 300 miles to see a worn out tractor with a pretty paint job causes me a bit of hesitation. Are there tell tale signs that a tractor has been used and abused? Seems that you can change out the hour meters and such. Like the saying goes - you can put lipstick on a pig - but its still a pig. As I've said, I'm good around anything with spark plugs and carbs - but the important "It wont work without that" things I'm lost on.

Thanks
    any opinions on below? Bit pricey though...but maybe worth a look

link removed
    Last edited by Derrell; 03-26-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Im a bad,bad member

Display Name: Rydplrs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 825 Posts
    I don't believe eBay links are allowed, but remember the seller saves 10% if you get him to cancel and go off eBay. Don't say anything directly just get off system contact information.

A blade is not a blower for a foot plus of snow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast