There's a acronym for the nanny condition in the extreme...SWMBO. She Who Must Be Obeyed.
Thanks goodness I married an old-fashioned girl who doesn't want to wear my pants...I don't think Wranglers would ever shrink that much anyway.
Got a 107-inch belt on the 322 mower deck this morning...a better fit all the way around. It snugs up tight without maxing out the tension knob on the mule drive. Also installed a spring pin on right deck lift arm and a clip in the right deck wheel bracket...so it doesn't rattle all the time. Set the deck depth stop and checked the deck for level in both directions. Surprisingly, it is within spec side to side and only a little off front to back. Never had that happen before with a used/new-to-me tractor, plus this deck has never been on this tractor before...it came with another tractor, a 214 that I restored and resold a year or so ago.
On the home front, I make sure my better half has all she needs/asks for and I never have any problems. We each have our own hobbies/oddities, but we've learned to accommodate each other over the past 35 years. I pity the young man next door...he is ordered about like a servant by his millenial/queen of the world bride. His solution is to work long hours...wonder why?? Poor situation to be in, especially with 2 little kids in the equation. Hope to be retired and gone back west by the time they become teens...fingers crossed.
Got the remote spout control mocked up on my custom tall chute. Now I just need to find the motivation to paint it. I hate painting.
Sorry about the sideways pic, dont know why my phone does that.
I'm trying to bring some projects to conclusion and snapped pictures of four of these herded together before they go their separate ways. Although part of the engines had been done earlier, last fall these basket-case JD 318, 300, 317 and 400 tractors were stripped down to the frames, leaving hydraulics and rear axles intact. Over the winter I did mechanical restorations and rebuilt the rest of the engines. The sheet metal painting was done this spring with a lot of uninterrupted time at home. Part of the mower deck restoration is in progress as the bugs and humidity will permit.
JD 400's, 420's, 425, 317's, 318's, 300, 112's, 110's; Brantly backhoe and loader on 400; 30 and 33 tillers; 49 and 50 blowers; 43, 54 and 56 blades; mower decks, cabs, etc.
I mowed grass and weeds taller than the hood with my 314 a couple of years ago. The deck is a H047 with pipe welded around lower rim of the deck. Has a couple small holes rusted thru deck. A true "ditch deck". Belt tension set to recommended setting. New Blades.
First pass with deck raised and snail pace cut pretty much everythng but left a substantial windrow. Second pass at deck hgt 3 1/4" provided nice mowed appearance. That "little" 314 has always impressed me with its capabilities.
Currently in my garages/sheds: 1967 JD112 RF ... 1972 JD 112 SF ... 1973 140 H3 ... 1977 JD 300 ... 1979 JD 216
1979 JD 314 ... 1979 JD 317K ... 1986 JD 318 ... 2004 JD X485 ... 2011 JD TX Gator ... 2012 JD X720 ... 19XX Zennoh 7001B
2003 HD Heritage Softail
Deerely Departed : 1965 JD 110 ... 1967 JD 110 ... 1978 JD 316K ... 1987 JD 175 ... 1987 JD 185 ... 1987 JD 332 w/ 44 loader
1990 JD 318 ... 2007 JD X300 ... 2015 Z930M ZTR ... 19XX MF 7 ... 1970 Harley FLH ... 1979 Harley Superglide
I got the 318 all back together, the electrical gremlin was exorcised, the deck blades were sharpened and I mowed the farm.
Mr. jdalchemist, you are a true asset to humanity. Nice work.
Gabby, my 212 falls into the same category...never fails to perform and most times outperforms my expectations.
Way to go Randy, keep giving that Onan a workout.
I'm in Pause mode with my 322 project...the exhaust manifold heat shield is on its way from the mysterious north country...up in Illinois somewhere. Meanwhile I'm giving the PB Blaster can a workout on the two nuts that have to come off to put the new replacement shield on. Kinda dicey as I had just proved how good it mows, now I'm in wait mode again.