Rewinding clutch coil - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rewinding clutch coil

Display Name: jdfan

Thanks
    How do you like that?

Bob Gehret must have posted while I got off the computer for a minute. He's the guy you want to listen to!!!

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Deleted User
    Display Name: Jimcrys

Thanks
    Bob, Jim, and Jim thanks for all the input!! Got the wire today, but have to work Sat and Sunday and won't be able to do anything with it. Have the form already made like the one in the photos, thinking of brushing each coil wrap with 2 hr epoxy. I have the form already coated with release agent. After it sets up I thought I would wrap it with fiberglass cloth and pot the whole thing like Bob suggested, using some more 2 hour epoxy. Will definately post pics of the whole operation!

Display Name: Jim Quarles

Thanks
    Do a good job of pictures then we'll lobby to get this one saved in the archives!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    WFMachines.com
    Advertisements

Deleted User

Thanks
    Finally back guys, had a lot going on. This is the progress so far. The mold is made of 3 pieces of MDF, the middle section was planed to be 1/8th" thinner than the inner housing, to allow potting material top and bottom. All bolted together with a 1/4" bolt. I coated the pieces with release agent, but still had a hard time removing them after curing, would probably use a heavy coat of wax next time. Drilled small hole at base level on one side of the mold and inserted one end of the wire from inside the mold. Wound the wire slowly, applying high temp silicone after ever 3 or 4 wraps. Did it by myself, but next time will get better half to run drill while I guide wire and apply silicone. After winding, checked ohms and found to be 3.9, which I think is in the OK range by what I have read. After it cured a while I applied 12 volts, the coil got warm after about 45 minutes or so, but nowhere near hot. After it set, I removed the molds, had a hard time doing it without messing up the wraps, will use heavy coat of wax as release agent next time. More to follow!

Deleted User

Thanks
    Can't get pics to upload unless I make them tiny, what photo program do you guys use to allow you to upload the bigger pics? I keep getting file to large error.

Deleted User
    Display Name: Greenears

Thanks
    Edit picture stretch & skew Change both values from 100% to 50%. Works for me.

(Message edited by Greenears on November 02, 2006)

Thanks
    Resizing photos - here is a document that covers several ways. http://tinyurl.com/yz9kxw
    The link is at the bottom. If you need it in a different format I can e-mail it to you.

Deleted User

Thanks
    Trying pics

Deleted User

Thanks
    Tested the coil for fit, it was a little tight in the center, but the coil is saturated with silicone, and I put a coat on the inside of the center, it should bond and never move. Spread a layer of silicone on the bottom of the housing 1/16th" or so and thin layer on the outside wall. Let it start to set up, coated the whole coil with silicone, and placed the coil in the housing, running the wires through the holes in the bottom of the housing. forced silicone around the outside edge, and spread a layer over the top, making sure it was level with the housing. Turned it over, ran a piece of small clear tubing over the positive wire, filled the hole with silicone, and slide the tubing down the wire and into the hole. Connected the ground wire to the housing, and let the whole thing set up. Temporarily wired it up, can't pry a wrench off!! Don't have a deck for this tractor yet, but see no reason it ain't gonna work! Thanks to all who contributed Another thing, it takes more wire than you might think. I bought 600 feet, and used it all but about 50 feet.

(Message edited by jimcrys on November 03, 2006)

Thanks
    If you are not computer literate and use Windows XP the PowerToy is by far the the simplest solution. I imagine all versions of computer operating systems will have something like this in the future. All you have to do is right click on a picture file and it will give you the option to change the size of the file - then it will creates a copy of the original file in the new size. It's very quick and easy to use.

There are many PowerToys - the one you want is listed under ImageResizer.exe on the right side. The simplest install is choose "Run from here" after clicking on the download.

DOWNLOAD PAGE IS AT: http://tinyurl.com/2meyw

DOCUMENTATION IS AT: http://tinyurl.com/2jvah

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast