Votes: 22 15.7%
  • Don't Have a Zero Turn

Votes: 75 53.6%

Zero Turn Poll

26K views 57 replies 44 participants last post by  riley bill 
#1 ·
Who here has a zero turn mower?

#29 ·
The motor went south in my spring mow duty 318, so I checked regional area and all the used zero turns were WAY out of my price range and very few to pick from. I broke down and called my local dealer and he had a 2015 Z445 w/ 57 hours on it. He beat the price of all others in my area, even the private sellers with more hours on them. It followed me home yesterday. After 4 hours in the seat I would have to say I think I'm going to like it.

#30 ·
Congrats! After about 10 hours or so, you'll be pretty good at using it. Key thing to remember is, when turning, always keep both wheels moving to prevent a divot from a stopped tire and any extra tire skid marks in your lawn. :thumb: They don't like to got downhill very well either.

#34 ·
:canada:I used a Bobcat zero turn at my previous work place. Great for mowing flat ground, absolute junk on a side hill, always wanted to run drift down the hill. In fact two years ago a friends father died on a zero turn. He was mowing on a side hill around a pond and it drifted down the hill into the pond and he drowned. I will probably never own one because my lawn is not all that big and has some steep little hills. And i like my JD 112L a lot and dont want anything different.

Reactions: KB
#35 ·
My dad stopped using his JD 400 about 10 years ago and bought an ExMark with a 72" cut to mow his 3+ acres and I heard for over a year how awesome it was. When I finally mowed with it, I couldn't believe it's performance. It was crazy... the engine would not bog down in tall wet grass and if the blades were reasonable sharp, it would make a clean cut. The only limit to how fast you can mow is how smooth the yard is. Truly a heavy commercial machine.

On a side not, I am closing on a house with 6 acres down here in the Memphis, TN area on the 3rd and I negotiated the PO's JD Z925R into the deal. :0) I have not had my butt on it yet but can't wait to compare it to my dad's ExMark. If it isn't awesome (and I expect it will me as it is a commercial grade too), I am going to sell it and look for a 430 with rear PTOl :)

#36 ·
I want to meet the guy that got seriously hurt mowing around a swing set. :lol:

#38 ·
I have a eXmark with 72" cut powered by a Kawasaki 27 hp liquid cooled engine. I cuts awesome with Gator blades, can mow and trim 2-1/2 acres in a little over an hour, even with going over any rows of cuttings to make them totally disappear.

Still love my JD's though for hauling, garden work, etc.

Reactions: jd195350
#40 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Grass Tree Lawn
Mower Lawn Vehicle Lawn mower Riding mower
Land vehicle Vehicle Grass Tree Lawn
just picked this 07 hustler super z up for my dad , 66 inch vr7 deck and 31 hp kohler, 1 owner gave me extra blades belts and all, cuts at 15mph like a dream , my dads first zero turn ever and it was funny watching a 59 year old jump on a beast of a zero like this and go full throttle full stick forward ...... i mows faster then my 430 does in high range down hill and the cuts perfect .

#41 ·
Just a Toro ss5000 with the 23hp kawasaki v-twin. I bought new 2 years ago and its paid for. Works great for my 2.5 acres and never had a problem. Not the fanciest, but to get any bigger of a deck would mean i had to step up their commercial line and the price instantly doubled. Not worth it for me to save a few minutes of mow time and will definitely last with my maintainance pickyness

" So theres never enough time to do it right, but theres always enough time to do it over?"

#42 ·
I have 2 zero turns. 2006 Scag Tiger Cub, 48" deck, 24hp Briggs with 250 hours. Runs good, mows great. Engine isn't my favorite tho. It had a major oil leak I had to repair at 200 hours.

Second one is a 2013 Scag Tiger Cat, 26hp Kawasaki, 61" cut, 80 hours on it. It's 10x the Mower of my smaller older one. Engine runs much better, quieter, and never done a thing to it other then PM.

I would highly recommend any professional SCAG product. I've Mower some very thick tall grass, and these Mowers do incredible. I've even mowed several fields in mid July that were never mowed for the year, and really should have been mowed with a bush hog. And my big Scag mows right thru it. Slowly of course, but does an incredible job considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 ·
I'll second the Scags. I don't have one, but my father has a Turf Tiger and it is a beast. Fires clippings out about 12'!! Lol. Not sure on the hours, but he bought it from a guy the sells them after the warranties run out (commercial landscaper that hires college kids), and that was about 15 years ago. My dad mows about two acres with it and only had to replace a coil a few years ago, and just replaced all the hydro hoses.

#44 ·
Walker zero turn. I would never go back to a garden factor for a mower takes up very little space cuts around/under obstacles, it’s basically a locked axle since bothe wheels are separately driven, pop the deck up to wash it and industrial components just like your Deere. Sold my Deere for 3500 and laid 500 for the Walker. I’ve been waiting for the walkers engine to die so I can restore it and make it more dependable but it won’t die.

#45 ·
My Dad was mowing his 6-7 acre lot with a 285 Deere. Every year it was taking him a day longer to complete it. I told him he was running out of days in a week so I bought a new 930M to help him. I was quickly told "I mow my own yard with my tractor". Dad passed away the next spring. I ended up selling the ZTR with 2 hours on it. Yes. 2 hrs. New owner still loves it. I have no use for a ZTR at this time.

#46 ·
There are a lot of people like that, they don’t like change, and they “Don’t need help”, and “I can manage by myself”. If only he would have given it a chance, he would have loved it. My great grandpa had bought a new ‘65 110 (when my grandpa graduated and wasn’t there to push mow), and my great grandma loved it. He had a Brinely cultivator for it, and she loved a garden. Years later, in the late 80’s or early 90’s, Great Grandpa bought a Craftsman hydrostat lawn tractor, but Great Grandma never used it, she loved the 110 so much. She didn’t want to learn to drive a hydrostat!
My neighbors have a Country Clipper 72” Zturn and a JD 455 with the 54” deck. That Ztrn is a monster, and eats up their 8 acres of grass fast! He isn’t in the best shape, but he’s the only one who runs the zero turn. His wife runs the 455, and to her, that is the best mower ever made. He tried to teach her to run the zero turn when the 455 broke down, but she didn’t like it, and made sure the 455 got fixed very quickly. It does take a bit of getting used to, but zero turns are a faster way to mow. Oh well, whatever makes mowing most enjoyable for each person...

#47 ·
I’ve been given another Dixon. This time it’s a ‘89 model 429. 14 horse Kawasaki, 42” deck. It fits places I can’t my 320 and I can cut our obstacle filled1.3 acres in about an hour. The best thing is I just got the second cut off one 1 1/2 gal. tank. Gotta love the baby blue fiberglass roller skate.

#48 · (Edited)
We have a 2018 Z930M. We upgraded from a 10+ year Toro zero turn hand me down. The toro was a great machine and ran very well, I just WANTED a commercial grade JD mower.

We also have a 322 I easily prefer to mow with the zero turn, much faster and wider deck, it hauls some serious tushy for a lawn mower and cuts well. We have a little over 1 acre.

We have a fairly smooth yard and I didn’t think I would need the upgraded seat, but wish I would have opted for it. The JD mower seems to exaggerate every single bump where the Toro never picked up anything.

My buddy taking it out for a spin. He came over just to ride on the mower and the tractor.

Attachments

#49 ·
I had one. Great mower.

The problem I had was my use for it went away and I ended up selling it at very low hours. I play cards occasionally with the new owner and he still loves it after 3 years. Commercial units can be costly but are well worth the money spent.

Gabby

#50 ·
Deere Z920A 60 in cut. Absolutely love it! Mow about 2 acres worth of yard. Fair amount of trees, mostly flat except for the ditch on the one side. Used to mow it with 2 machines with 48 in decks and 2 operators and it would take about 1.5 to 1.75 hours depending on which direction it was cut and how tall it was. Can do entire thing with the ZTRAK in 1.25 hours with one machine. Has little over 600 hours on it now and have only done normal service. Added a set of headlights because sometimes it gets dark before I'm done mowing after I get home from work, switched to GATOR blades and made a mulch plate to close off the chute to shred leaves. Have enough other tractors to do the other stuff beside mow. I would be very hard pressed to go back to a normal tractor for a mowing machine.

#51 ·
I almost have one.. heh heh! I have a really good 5 foot Kubota deck for it in the shed but I doubt I'll ever put it on. It's too big and would also need a separate engine. And I used the Yerfdog box for something else so my 'zero turn' will just be for driving around the yard.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Outdoor power equipment Car Motorized wheelchair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.