Weekend Freedom Machines banner

420 Bush Hog Recommendations Needed

11K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  sfriend100@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
I have a 420 and am looking for a bush hog attachment. The problem seems to be the 2000 rpm rear PTO and the lack of options out there. I have seen a couple pics of the Woods M4 Billy Goat which seems like the best fit if I could find one! I have also seen a pic of a 420 with a JD LX4 www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/14230-Is-a-450-tiller-compatible-with-a-430 with the comment "I use the LX-4 john Deere brush-hog also with my 420 , but had to adjust the slip-clutch Belleville washer way down after the initial trial run failure in the gear-box"

I have a 44 loader and a tiller that get used a bit and putting the finish mower underneath and disconnecting the others becomes a real PITA.

Just curious what the recommendations are?

#2 ·
My recommendation is a second 420 dedicated to the loader and bush hog.

Deere does manufacture 3ph mounted finish mowers but I have no experience with the quality of their cut. This is a second option available to you if 2nd tractor is not viable option.

Gabby

Reactions: garlin and GreggVA
#5 ·
The Woods RM42 and M4 and a Cub Cadet are the only 2000rpm brush hogs I have ever heard of. Both are pretty uncommon, but you can buy parts to convert the 540rpm version of the Woods RM42 to 2000rpm. Deere made a 260 rear grooming mower and a 50" rear mower of the same vintage as your 420 but they're triple bladed mowers, not really a brush hog.

The link with the 420/LX was an experiment where the guy took a 540rpm gearbox from a Deere 1800UTV and shortened the output shaft. It physically is the same size as the 2000rpm gearbox so it will bolt up to these tractors. Good luck finding one, though, they are quite rare. Watching the YouTube of it in action really showed how well it worked.

#6 ·
Another option is to bolt an engine on one. There really just isn't many options for brush hogs out there for this vintage of tractor. There is also a front mount mower that could also meet your needs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.