Weekend Freedom Machines banner

100 dollar 318 got me wondering. What was your best deal?

35K views 106 replies 73 participants last post by  jolly green 318 
#1 ·
What was your best deal?

#3 ·
$100 for a 318 in that good of shape is going to be hard to beat. I think I ...might...hate Kyle. No, I should be happy for him...Yeah, happy...for...him. The only thing that would have made it worse is if he would have snatched that up around where I hunt. Like the guy who walks up and shoots the buck right after you left with you butt all sore. Yeah...I hate that guy to.

#4 ·
Jason, and that was in Va. to. I just started hunting about 6 months ago. I hope you snatched that up before then. Man, I just looked at it in your profile. What a deal. Makes you feel good that they are out there.

(Message edited by torino on July 15, 2006)

#5 ·
Tim, I bought it in 92' here in williamsburg ,my boss had it sold for 50 dollars. I had 150 in my pocket and I put her on a trailer. They said it needed a frame and a motor but they did not take the time to look and see that the fuel shutoff was grounding out on the fire wall . Welded the frame up and shes still running strong

#7 ·
My best deal wasn't a John Deere. It was a brand new 12.5 Kohler Command engine for $50 from a junkyard. Got it last fall with a 1320 Cub Cadet that had been in an accident. I thought it fell off a truck or something till I found the blood stains

Obviously not as good as a $100 318 (!), but my next best best deal was a 1970 110 John Deere with a sweet 8 horse Kohler and a good transaxle for $100. Bought it for parts but it's too good for that. Gonna fix it up instead.

Army

#9 ·
I picked up the '77 300 that I am trying to piece back together now in trade for a big bottle of Crown Royal
. I knew it had a 41 mower deck-unbeknownst to me it came with a power angle 54 blade and the factory service manual as well....unfortunately its initial service as gutter cleaner in a dairy barn has left all in pretty tough shape but I do have it running and mobile now. Probably into it for close to $1K CDN now in misc. parts with more to come-so the initial price wasn't as good as it initially sounds-but I'm still not complaining.

One of these days I will charge the batteries for my digital cameras and take some pics-unbelievable what rotted off the old girl.

Jason

#12 ·
317 with mower deck and tiller for free. Of course it came from my Dad, so maybe that don't count. Next would be a 400 with blown engine, 2 60" decks, about $200 in parts, a model 60 in good running condition, 2 old John Deere chainsaws 1 in good running condition, and the service manuals for all of it for $650. I too would rather find a 318 for $100.

#14 ·
How about a running and mowing JD 200 for the cost and time of putting a pair of deck bearings in a 110? Or a Brinley sleeve hitch plow in unused condition for $5 ?
My favorites though are the Murrays and low end Crafty's I get for $20 - $50 , late model and in running condition, those are so much junk when new that I can strip them down and use the components for other projects without guilt.

#19 ·
How about a complete brand new in the box rear PTO setup for my 318 for 100 euros? I happened to be in Belgium and went to the Deere dealer and they just happened to have one. They were very happy to have me take it off their hands too. They only started selling L&G tractors in Belgium about 6 years before hence - NEVER - sold a 318 or any other tractor of that era. To get it back to te US, it had to go through the metal detector and customs.
You never know where you might find a find.

#25 ·
Best deal??? A couple years ago acquired a 140 H3 with a sleeve hitch for $100. All it needed was brushes in the starter. Last fall I found a running 120 with a 47 inch mower deck, also $100. Rebuilt engine and quick painted over the winter (picture is in my profile). Hopefully more deals will come.

#26 ·
My 318 (670 hours) with 46" deck and power-pak leaf collection came with the house when we bought it. I guess you could say it was either free, or it cost a bunch and the house and property came with it. And I'm the second owner! The original owner lives near us, and has asked to buy it back a couple times already, since he had to buy another JD, and didn't get half the tractor this 318 is.

RichardS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.