Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '74 110 serial over 300,000. I was mowing the other day and I stopped for a minute. I shifted back into gear and the tractor wouldn't move. The gear shift will not move out of gear now. The clutch doesn't release the rear wheels. With the clutch in, I can start the engine and the engine starts and runs fine. Shortly before this, I noticed the tractor was struggling to mow. I thought maybe it was heavy grass but apparently not.
I did a little searching and found this response to a member who had a '68 110 with a similar problem.

Sounds like you broke the stud ball off of the shifter. Does it feel loose when you try to shift or "stuck"? It might have gotten the broken piece jammed where it shouldn't be. Try taking the shift quadrant cover off and removing the shift lever cover and seeing if the shaft has the pivot ball and lower stud still there and let us know.

I was thinking something similar. I was thinking that a bearing started failing which caused an alignment issue and the tractor struggling. When the bearing finally came apart, pieces lodged between some gears and won't let the wheels turn.
If this is anything like I think, I will likely have to have it serviced. I don't have the tools or the skills to pull it all apart and fix it.

I can try to take the shift cover off and see what I can see. I also thought of either draining some lube out or sticking a magnet in and see if I find any metal shavings or pieces.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
572 Posts
Detent ball springs are probably broken causing it to be in two gears at once. Looks transmission up. Will require disassembly of transmission to repair correctly. It will have to be removed from tractor as well.

Reactions: jake_vc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is an update.
Based on the symptoms and the comments in this post, I had the tractor trailered to the local Deere dealer. I got a call today. The mechanic did what investigating he could without tearing into the tractor. He also called another shop that has mechanics with 40+ years of experience. The consensus is that the shift fork broke, or a synchronizer broke, or something like that and the transmission is stuck in two gears. He said he looked up the parts and none are available. So my option is to authorize about 10 hours of labor (at about $100/hr.) to take apart and reassemble the transmission just to find out whether the consensus is right or not. If the mechanics are correct, the tractor can't be fixed (at least not by them). Or I can have the tractor brought back to me and I can perhaps sell it to someone who can fix it or use it for parts. Sigh..... At the moment, the plan is to bring it back.

So what would you folks recommend?

I don't have the time, probably not the right tools, nor the skill to tackle this job. I don't have another Deere tractor so I can't really use the parts.
I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just reading some of the comments and detent ball springs was another likely cause. And also not available as far as parts.
So good call 5540jd.

Mark

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
YOU COULD remove the three bolts/allen head bolts, pull the gear shift off, re-align the 2 forks with the slot. Take a good look make sure the trans is worth fixing. Most likely it just need new springs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good idea. Thanks ed_lincoln. I'll take a look at that option as soon as I get the tractor back. At least then I'll know what is wrong. Even if I choose to sell it, I'll be able to tell a potential buyer what the scoop is.
Thanks for the help.
Mark

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Only parts that may not be available are the gears and some other internal parts like thrust washers.
I just had my '67 tranny apart due to broken snap ring on differential. Don't ask why that happened.🤪.
I was able to get all the seals, snap rings, thrust bearings and washers, detant springs and balls. Only part NLA were 2 thrust washers, but old ones were good so I reused them.
Really no special tools needed, just patience.
Here's link if interested.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lt230s - All I can report is what the mechanic told me on the phone. He said none of the parts he had mentioned (shift fork, detent ball springs, synchronizer) were available anymore. I'm sure I could probably find some on ebay or something or just put in a used/rebuilt assembly, but the dealer shop can't do that. They are required (I think) to use new parts.

Mark

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
lt230s - All I can report is what the mechanic told me on the phone. He said none of the parts he had mentioned (shift fork, detent ball springs, synchronizer) were available anymore. I'm sure I could probably find some on ebay or something or just put in a used/rebuilt assembly, but the dealer shop can't do that. They are required (I think) to use new parts.

Mark
Understandable, but like Ed said you can spend an hour or so yourself if you don't mind doing that and maybe see if the problem is obvious.
I have a feeling it maybe just the balls and springs. But if it is, the tranny still has to come apart.
I was very hesitant to tear mine apart even though I been wrenching on things all my life.
Keep us up to date as to what you decide. There are still good used trannies out there if you go that route.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I realize you do not feel comfortable to do the repair yourself and that is perfectly normal. However, this type of repair has been done hundreds and hundreds of times and most likely someone living near you has done this repair or one similar. One option is to post on this forum and see if anyone lives nearby and would want to do the repair for you. Another option is to drop by that shop that has the technicians with 40 years of experience and ask if that shop would want to do the repair or if not, maybe one of their technicians does repairs at their home on nights and weekends.
Some local junior colleges with automotive or farm technician training programs might have some bright technicians looking for a repair job on the side. If your unit cannot be repaired, there should be plenty of used or rebuilt units for sale that you can locate and someone can install for you. That's the added benefit of owning a Deere.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I haven’t done anything with transmissions before, but will say that these are 4f/1r manual unsynchronized (basically just sliding gears on shafts, no synchronizers or fancy mechanisms) transmissions with by modern standards terrible tolerances. Meaning they aren’t rocket science to work on.
That’s my $.02, and non redeemable anywhere, that and a couple bucks will buy you a coffee.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
526 Posts
detent balls, springs and shift forks are available to order, the dealership network I work at has 21 of the detent balls in stock :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Lots of good info and suggestions.
I will dig into it a bit when I get it back.
If parts are available, I wonder why the Deere dealership told me they weren't. The shop told me they weren't busy right now. From reading the comments above, it doesn't appear highly specialized tools are needed. Seems to me this would be a repair welcomed by the shop.

I'll keep in touch.
Thanks again everybody. This is an awesome forum.

Mark

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Mark, Many dealers don't like working on the older tractors and don't have people with the needed skills... with skills meaning more like familiarity so they can dismantle, repair, and reasm. quickly. Do some searching here and online and you may find detailed threads on the needed repairs. As far a "specialized tools", yes indeed! It's called a friggin' wrench or socket!

It's just a bunch of iron, nuts, bolts, and springs, YOU can do it! Bob

·
Registered
572 Posts
Deere mechanic trying to get rid of something he doesn’t want to work on. If you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself, check with other shops in your area or find a good used one. Maybe someone near could help you out. They are not hard to do with a little time and patience. More trouble to get it out of tractor in my opinion.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Mark, Many dealers don't like working on the older tractors and don't have people with the needed skills... with skills meaning more like familiarity so they can dismantle, repair, and reasm. quickly. Do some searching here and online and you may find detailed threads on the needed repairs. As far a "specialized tools", yes indeed! It's called a friggin' wrench or socket!

It's just a bunch of iron, nuts, bolts, and springs, YOU can do it! Bob
And the mechanics who know how/can will be the ones working on the stuff that make or break peoples livelihoods and cost more than most houses, tractors, combines, construction machines, etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts