Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Mark, Many dealers don't like working on the older tractors and don't have people with the needed skills... with skills meaning more like familiarity so they can dismantle, repair, and reasm. quickly. Do some searching here and online and you may find detailed threads on the needed repairs. As far a "specialized tools", yes indeed! It's called a friggin' wrench or socket!

It's just a bunch of iron, nuts, bolts, and springs, YOU can do it! Bob
This right here, for a variety of reasons. Some parts are NLA, younger mechanics that only know the new stuff, dealerships that focus more on Ag than turf. I am the only tech at the small dealership I work at that actually looks forward to working on the older stuff. Why? because most of it is easier to repair.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Two more critical tools to have to work on this is a hammer (brass) and a torch. Experience using these tools is necessary..

·
Registered
19 Posts
The transmission from any 68-74 john deere 110/112 will bolt right in . And the transmissions from the 200-216 john deere will also fit. Find a parts machine and change it out . it not hard and does not take any special tool. If the garden tractor is worth keeping to you , thats what i would do .

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Two more critical tools to have to work on this is a hammer (brass) and a torch. Experience using these tools is necessary..
Most definitely! I had the torch but didn't get the hub hot enough to break the rust seal and that's how I busted the snap ring inside on the differential.😱

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for all the input. I got the unit back the other day. I have taken the seat off and the fenders etc. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to pull the shift lever out and shine a light inside. I'll keep everybody posted.
Thanks again.

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was able to pull the shift lever. I took a picture (attached). I'm not seeing much but I don't know how it should look.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bumper

I really don't have the space or the time to work on this. My job keeps me fairly busy so even if this is a reasonably simple repair, the teardown will take a long time.

Mark

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was able to pull the shift lever. I took a picture (attached). I'm not seeing much but I don't know how it should look.
View attachment 270934

I really don't have the space or the time to work on this. My job keeps me fairly busy so even if this is a reasonably simple repair, the teardown will take a long time.

Mark
Looks like it's locked in two gears. When the shifter is in neutral, the slots in the two shift forks should line up with the slot in the metal plate between the shift forks. My first thought would be bad or weak detent springs in the shift forks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the info.
Do I want to pry the forks over to the slot in the divider? While I was getting the picture, I tried jiggling stuff around and I couldn't move anything. Getting the trans in neutral would be nice for moving it. I'm in southwest Ohio (Cincinnati area). I may end up putting it back together and looking for a new home for it.
Thanks again for all the help.
Mark

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Stick a screwdriver between one of the forks and the case. Pry on it while trying to rock the tractor back and forth. Do the other fork the same way.
Once it is back in neutral you can roll it around. Then put it back together and try driving it in each gear. If it makes any clunking sounds, there will be some damaged gears to be replaced along with the broken detent springs in the shift rails.
The weak or broken detent springs is a common problem for this 2300 series Peerless transaxle. A good used tranny is your easiest repair, but unless the shifter snapped into each gear and some effort to shift it to each position is not present, it should get at least new springs, gaskets and seals before installing in the tractor.
As mentioned before, any 2300 (4 speed) series from the 100-200 series Deeres will interchange to your tractor. You may have to switch the brake parts and the shifter. These two things have been changed over the years. The 2300 was used in other brands of garden tractors, but most have different hubs, axles, axle housings, and sometimes different case configuration that make the shift pattern upside down from Deere's version. The internal parts are likely interchangeable though.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks tommyhawk. I won't be able to get to it tonight but I'll post when I get a chance to tinker a bit.

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I finally got a little time and tried prying but had no luck. Rocking the tractor didn't help. I could have pried harder but didn't want to make things worse. I will likely post this on the "for sale" page. I've not done that before so I will have to look into the rules for doing that. I suspect I will need to get a few pictures, list the serial number and an asking price. I would like to work through the teardown, repair, and rebuild and I am confident that with the support of the folks on this site I could do it. But I am both time and space challenged right now so I think it is time to pass this unit on to a good home. As an FYI, I have no way of delivering the tractor to anyone and I live on the east side of Cincinnati, OH.
I'll get a posting put together in the for sale area and probably post here when I get the posting up. Several of the folks on this site have helped me extensively over the last decade and probably know more about this particular tractor than I do (ha!).
Thanks for everything.
Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The posting is up in the classified area. Just an FYI.
If anybody sees something out of line or that I am missing something, let me know.

Thanks again.
Mark

21 - 34 of 34 Posts