Glad you didn’t have any damage to gears. This sometimes happens when it goes into two gears at once. Be sure to put some grease in the hole springs go into. This will help new ones from rusting and wearing prematurely. Be careful reassembling case halves. Tighten slowly and evenly making sure everything will turn as you tighten bolts up. If it stops turning, something isn’t lined up correctly. Good luck with the project.
Yes they are small. Have patience getting them back in place. Just did the tranny on my '67 112. Good thing I had a extra set of hands to help.
Glad you're rebuilding. Get to learn and save it. Gears look in good shape too.
Really glad you tackled this project. For what it's worth, I've never seen a used 2300 that looked so good inside! I can't see them all, but the gears that I can see look like new.
If you haven't figured out a good way to get the balls and springs assembled with the shafts, here's a couple things I learned over time. Clamp the fork gently in a vise with the through hole up. Stick a short piece of wire through that hole and into the spring seat hole. Slide the spring onto the wire and let it drop to it's seat. Might have to wiggle the wire a bit.
Next, make sure the floor is clean under the vice area and have a magnet handy just in case. Roll the ball in and get it to sit on the spring. I made a tapered tool to slide in and push the ball down in the spring seat hole to hold it in place. The tapered part will push the ball down and the larger, approx. .490" straight diameter will hold it in place. Then use the shifter shaft to push out the tool with one steady motion, letting the ball drop into a groove in the shaft.
Another method that a member on this forum came up with, is to use a 1/4" drive, 1/4" socket as shown below the tapered tool. Works very well also. You won't want it attached to the extension as pictured. Just push it in with the shaft, for instance. This is very helpful when you git-er-done and realize you put the shaft in the wrong way and have to start over! Voice of experience here.
Thanks for the tips.
I was cleaning the last of the oil out of the casing halves and found two gear teeth (see pics below). I looked carefully at the gears and found the ones that are missing. I'm guessing these are as cheap as the balls and springs.
Deere317 - thanks for the link to the catalog. I think I found the part numbers.
From the service manual, one of the gears I need is the 20 tooth shifter gear (3rd and 4th speed). The part number is M81712 which is a sub for M40359.
The other gear is the 3 cluster gear. The part number is AM37264 which is a sub for AM30534.
The above is what I found. I plan to go look these up, see if I can get them and if so, what the cost is.
I found both gears new through a John Deere online store. The 3/4 gear is about $140 and the 3 cluster gear is about $380. I couldn't get permission from my wife to spend the money (ha!) for new gears. I found them at a used parts store. Here is the picture I was sent.
These don't look as nice as my originals except I believe they have all the teeth. I don't think the surface rust is a big issue. As long as these aren't pitted or anything, they should do the trick.
What do you folks think? I was quoted $100 for the pair plus $12 shipping. Certainly better than the roughly $520 for the pair as new.
I still need to get the gasket for the case halves and other seals etc. Does anybody know if there is a kit of all the o-rings, seals, gaskets, etc. that are needed? I would only need a few things I think since I am not rebuilding the entire transaxle. Sometimes it is just easier to get a complete kit.
Just get a variety of small wire brushes, soak the gears in vinegar and they will clean up just fine. If you have a bench-mounted wire brush that rust will come right off. Pay attention to the inside splines. If there's rust in there it may be a bit hard to shift at first. You're trading the high cost of Deere prices for elbow grease.
The used gears shown above are ordered. I also ordered some seals etc. Just a random selection I saw on Amazon (just kidding!). I ordered the following based on what I saw in the parts book.
M40676 (3 of these)
Are there others that I need? I didn't see any others in the diagrams I looked at in the parts book. I could have easily missed something though.
Thanks for the help so far. Once I get the parts and clean the gears, it will time to reassemble. This may be my Christmas gift.
There should be 2 seals for axles, one for drive input shaft, and one for brake shaft. Not sure the numbers off hand.
Did you also get case gasket and o-rings for axle tubes?
Hopefully your get your Christmas wish.
Thanks for the reply lt230.
The AR90860 seal is a 1 5/8 seal and it looks like it is for the input shaft. Shown as #10 in the diagram below.
The M40676 is a 1 3/8 seal for the brake shaft and the left and right axle shafts. So 3 are needed. Shown as #12 below.
The M41030 is the case gasket. Shown as #21 below.
Looks like I got almost everything you mentioned. A little more digging and it looks like #19 below is the o-ring for the axle tube you mentioned.
I need 2 of those. I'll get those on order. That part number is M41027.
A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Tractors owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about classic restorations, references, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!