Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile ago I saw a picture of this 214 with front skis.

Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle

Wheel Snow Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

I thought it was kind of unique to say the least. He built it to plow snow.....which don't remember his reasoning for that concept.

I thought I'd try the idea on the 110 blacksheep/backwoods tractor. My neighbor restores vintage snowmobiles and had some old skis he wasn't going to use so I bought them. I would've like some a suspension but took what I could get.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

I ran out of welding rod so I couldn't finish the supports but took it for an easy test ride. It was a pain to get it out of the shop, and steer on the icy gravel driveway. Once I was in real snow the skis floated nice and was able to crawl over some drifts. Even with the worn ags I was able to go through some big stuff. In reality with the narrow tires I probably could've done the same thing. Was it a waste of time and money..... probably, is it fun to ride.....yes, is it a conversation piece....yes.

I saw on " I save tractors" the guy built some half tractors.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Combat vehicle Motor vehicle

Again to me it's kind of unique. That could take this project to the next level. Would I ever do it... probably not.....

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That wheel horse has a 2 stroke snow mobile engine. Probably flies if you’re brave enough to drive it.
I like the Handel bars.

When I was repowering the 110 I was debating on a diesel engine or snowmobile engine. Harbor Frieght has what they call a Ghost go cart engine now. If I ever need an engine to run a pump or something I'd steal the preditor and put the go cart engine in the 110.

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice I wonder if you did a front tire hybrid ski desgin like in this video would let you steer on hard pack and then the ski take's over in the snow and you the front will then float.

That's a neat idea. Wonder if I kept the skinnys on then got a plumbing adapter elbow and screwed that to where the crown nut goes and attach the skis that way.

Or cut out the center of the ski, drop down the skinny sort of like a wheel barrow tire bracket.

· Registered
3,352 Posts
Interesting, and nice work, too. I'll stick with a one-horse open sleigh. I think young Deere317 needs to build/install tracks like that on his tractor.
I seem to recall he had some issues with them and lost interest in the project. If anything something like this would be better.

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Cool! I'll bring you a 322...when will it be ready?
Nice chipper...and they managed to keep their faces and fingers out of harm's way. :p
I always get a kick out of the back yard chippers that only take pool stick size branches. A couple of times for work a home owner said they rented a chipper to save money......get there and it's a little thing hooked up to the lawn mower........it's usually the same home owners who say they'll keep the wood and that afternoon or next day call and say " they meant fire pit size wood", " the tree is bigger on the ground" or " you didn't cut and split the wood" Customers look at me like I'm crazy when I grab half the tree with the skid loader and feed it into the commercial size chipper.

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I seem to recall he had some issues with them and lost interest in the project. If anything something like this would be better.
That's cool and looks like it could go through some stuff..
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Asphalt

Looking around online for research and Ideas I really I like the look of the industrial.

I always liked the 450 dozers and would have plenty of use for one.
Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Sky

I'd rather have the real thing than a mini one.

· Registered
1,738 Posts
My thoughts that the 140 would be good crawler conversion with the indepent rear brakes and the hydro drive.

Its on the way down on my project list but some day I'd like to try and make one.

Course the 318 would work just a well also I suppose.

· Registered
763 Posts
It would be cool to put the 4 way blade on, and a ripper on the rear remote.

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had some time to get the skis finished up.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Bumper Vehicle

It was dark, cold, and my back was pretty sore from bucking drifts plowing this werkend so decided to be smart and wait until day light to try it. My son is home on break and I'm keeping him occupied so not sure when I can try it out. This past weekend we only got 3 inches of snow out of the the expected 12 but had 3 days on constant 30 mph winds with gusts up to 50 mph so we got some pretty tall drifts that became rock hard with the -44 windchills.
Cloud Sky Land vehicle Snow Snowmobile

Wheel Tire Vehicle Snow Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Snow Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

I would've loved to try the 110 up them but now with temperatures in the 40s this week I fear I'd be waiting until mowing season to see it again if I found a soft spot lol.

· Registered
1,738 Posts
I would've loved to try the 110 up them but now with temperatures in the 40s this week I fear I'd be waiting until mowing season to see it again if I found a soft spot lol.
[/QUOTE]

Just tie a rope to rear hitch then wrap around the seat that way when you Burry it you throw the rope out and the mighty B can come and rescue you! Might just float on top though snow is pretty hard. But still alot of weight on the rear tires. To have to float on top of snow.

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just tie a rope to rear hitch then wrap around the seat that way when you Burry it you throw the rope out and the mighty B can come and rescue you! Might just float on top though snow is pretty hard. But still alot of weight on the rear tires. To have to float on top of snow.
[/QUOTE]

I think the b is frozen in the main shed until spring. I'll sadly admit there's been a couple of times I got the fourwheeleer bottomed out in a snow drift plowing or out in the marsh........4x4 lock works great to get you into trouble but there's only so much side to side rocking you can do and the winch is useless on the plow. Then it's time to walk back.........

· Registered
1,738 Posts
Thats when you need a 2nd ATV to go and rescue the first ATV.

All These Stuck ATVS got out with a 2nd atv and a winch out. or you have a ratchet strap to hold the plow up and then use the winch to self pull you out.

I make getting stuck a yearly winter thing. I look at is a practice and then when you really really get yourself stuck and you didn't want to you know how and what its gonna take to get you out.

If your not well versed it getting unstuck its 2 hours later to get out vs 10min when you know what to get and how to get out.
Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Slope Motor vehicle
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Snow
Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats when you need a 2nd ATV to go and rescue the first ATV.

All These Stuck ATVS got out with a 2nd atv and a winch out. or you have a ratchet strap to hold the plow up and then use the winch to self pull you out.

I make getting stuck a yearly winter thing. I look at is a practice and then when you really really get yourself stuck and you didn't want to you know how and what its gonna take to get you out.

If your not well versed it getting unstuck its 2 hours later to get out vs 10min when you know what to get and how to get out. View attachment 287193 View attachment 287194 View attachment 287195
Very true. I miss my honda 300ex for the reason if it got stuck, I just lifted it out. I worked at a seed research facility out highschool. We had trials up in sand country. It was heavily irrigated. The boss said going through the muddy paths, stay in 2wd, 4x4 makes you cocky and only further away. 4x4 is for emergencies only. I try to live by that rule yet. Very true with practice......I feel with age comes experienced with some people. Growing up our neighbor burried his biggest tractor a 1086, tried pulling it out with his 2nd biggest a 1066, soon he had the farmall h hooked up, 2 chains dead tight, and a wrecker on it's way. Watching people trying to pull others out of ditches it's funny most people don't stay up on the pavement the back down to try to get closer and end up almost stuck too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts